Newbie Needs help with FreeScan and BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackGas

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

I started scanning about 25 years ago with a 4 crystal scanner from radio shack, since then I have owned two portable programable analog scanners that I learned to use through reading Police Call, and trial and error. Recently I found one out in the garage, and decided to turn it on and see what I could find out there. I noticed I could here a small amount of volunteer EMS but not much of anything else. A little research revealed that my area of Hampton roads, VA (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake) have all switched over to digital systems. So I made the jump and bought the BCD396XT, Despite its learning curve, I was able to hand program Virginia Beach, and Portsmouth P25 systems, but everything I read said that using the data cable and FreeScan made it so much simpler. Well after I learned to hand program it, and I still really don't understand the Quick keys to well, I decided to try the data cable to more easily identify my tags. But now after I import other city frequencies using the cut and paste, my scanner says it is scanning but it never stops on anything. the only way I can make it work is to revert back to the original .996 file that I saved before I started making changes. Is there someplace I can go to get .996 files of others that have successfully identified and programmed their scanners for my area? Or is there somebody out there that can help me decipher what it is that I am doing wrong, or just show me some tips that make it easier.

The cut and past thing seems easy enough, but it it doesn't work after I load it in there, what good is it?

Jack

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To help you with quick keys and FreeScan - it's VERY important to understand how QKs work, as they allow you to scan/not scan groups, sites and systems - read up on them here...

Freescan and Quick Key Processing - The RadioReference Wiki

We also have a few things on this topic in the DMA FAQ, and it might be helpful to read up in the Easier to Read manual as well - the links for both are here...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Finally you can try to get a Freescan file for your area (be sure to specify that you're using a 396XT and FreeScan), go here...

Virginia Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

HTH...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.