Newbie needs help with GPS and BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmohl

Hello,

I just ordered a BCD996T and am wondering if someone can help me with a GPS question. I have looked all over for a list of compatible GPS units to use with the BCD996T. Will my Garmin 330C work? Any suggestions what to use if it won't.

Thanks!

Doug

woodyrr

I use a Garmin Etrex Legend with my 996, but I would like to upgrade to one of the newer Garmin Nuvi or Tomtom Go units with the large color screen, etc. The wiki referenced above doesn't seem to list anything like that.

amazon.com has a matrix listing the units of that type that they have available, and the features, but the ability to output the navigation information in the proper format to a 9 pin serial connector is not one of the features that they chose to provide.

Does anyone have examples of fancier units that will work with the 996?

woodyrr

Thanks,

I played with a friend's Tomtom Go unit yesterday, and really liked the large color map, but his didn't have that ability that I could tell.

The Garmin legend works well enough and isn't constantly nagging at me to turn this way and that.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I didn't specifically see this one in the wiki but have seen a lot of posts from people using it.

http://www.scannermaster.com/GPS_Receiver_for_Uniden_Bearcat_BCT15_BCD996T_p/29-731177.htm

This is what I use just because I had I laying around when I bought the scanner. I even found a car mount for it on Ebay. I like it because it has a few things on a screen vs a puck. I use the speed alarms that are built in and the compass is handy too. I found the Data-send on a torrent and added a bunch of waypoints.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magellan-GPS-31...yZ156955QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paul_NoVa

I use a Garmin Etrex Legend with my 996, but I would like to upgrade to one of the newer Garmin Nuvi or Tomtom Go units with the large color screen, etc. The wiki referenced above doesn't seem to list anything like that.

How does the Garmin etrex Legend work with the 996? A few are appearing on the local CL and was curious if you had any thoughts on reliability and how well it "plays nice" with the 996...

woodyrr

I have used the Garmin Etrex Legend with the BCD996T since the scanner was introduced a couple of years or so ago and have no complaints. I think that GPS location based system switching is incredibly convenient.

I have encountered two issues:

1). I had to disable the WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) function on the Etrex. With the function active, the scanner would lock and unlock systems without rhyme or reason. This may or may not be an issue today as I found that, for my purposes, location accuracy was good enough without WAAS.

2). Twice since I have had it, The Etrex would not track satellites when initially powered up. This issue is resolved by simultaneously pressing the power and screen keys.

Paul_NoVa

I have used the Garmin Etrex Legend with the BCD996T since the scanner was introduced a couple of years or so ago and have no complaints. I think that GPS location based system switching is incredibly convenient.

I have encountered two issues:

1). I had to disable the WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) function on the Etrex. With the function active, the scanner would lock and unlock systems without rhyme or reason. This may or may not be an issue today as I found that, for my purposes, location accuracy was good enough without WAAS.

2). Twice since I have had it, The Etrex would not track satellites when initially powered up. This issue is resolved by simultaneously pressing the power and screen keys.

Great, thank you for the quick reply. I will give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.