Newbie Needs Serious Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gway17

I just bought a Pro 197 and have updated it to the latest version.
I am using the ARC500 software.
I have also purchased the PSREdit500.

I would like to listen to Dak Cty Emerg, MN Hwy Patrol, Apple Valley, Burnsville and other police/fire.

For some of these questions, it is; Do I need it? Or how would I use it?

What is V-scanner and why/how would I use it?

What is WFM?

Do I need to covert any of my CVS files?

I have gone thru the instructions and downloaded conventional files, but when I download anything else, the first set is gone. I downloaded some Trunked files and the same thing happened. I understand now that I’m overwriting the first files.
I have heard nothing from any frequencies that I have downloaded. Dak Cty, Henn Cty, etc.
I manually entered one frequency (Empire West) that I knew worked from my old scanner and it worked and now that’s all I have.

I don’t have a handle on what TAGs or Scan Lists are yet, but I think I will shortly.

I would think there would be some very basic instructions on how to download a simple example and have it work. Then build on that. Instead, there are a million pages of complex information explaining every single aspect of these digital scanners, but it would take years to read and understand it all.

I know a bit about computer and was an IT person several years ago, now retired and can’t seem to figure this out…………????? Am I making it harder than it is or am I ……never mind.

Maybe I'm asking too much at one time, but........
Perhaps I'll learn some Forum etiquette too.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just bought a Pro 197 and have updated it to the latest version.
I am using the ARC500 software.
I have also purchased the PSREdit500.

I would like to listen to Dak Cty Emerg, MN Hwy Patrol, Apple Valley, Burnsville and other police/fire.

For some of these questions, it is; Do I need it? Or how would I use it?

What is V-scanner and why/how would I use it?

What is WFM?

Do I need to covert any of my CVS files?

I have gone thru the instructions and downloaded conventional files, but when I download anything else, the first set is gone. I downloaded some Trunked files and the same thing happened. I understand now that I’m overwriting the first files.
I have heard nothing from any frequencies that I have downloaded. Dak Cty, Henn Cty, etc.
I manually entered one frequency (Empire West) that I knew worked from my old scanner and it worked and now that’s all I have.

I don’t have a handle on what TAGs or Scan Lists are yet, but I think I will shortly.

I would think there would be some very basic instructions on how to download a simple example and have it work. Then build on that. Instead, there are a million pages of complex information explaining every single aspect of these digital scanners, but it would take years to read and understand it all.

I know a bit about computer and was an IT person several years ago, now retired and can’t seem to figure this out…………????? Am I making it harder than it is or am I ……never mind.

Maybe I'm asking too much at one time, but........
Perhaps I'll learn some Forum etiquette too.

Here is a link to an eaisier to read and understand manual for your scanner. Most folks find that this will get them started very nicely.

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

There is a section there that explains V-Scanner folders.

gway17

Well, one thing I'm having trouble with is the multitude of abbreviations.

I have downloaded Henn Cty Trunked PS25 Auto w/Alpha Tags and heard nothing. I can see that it’s scanning and the Henn Cty is there, but I hear nothing.
I’ve also downloaded the associated Talkgroup IDs and still nothing. The scanner is working hard, I just don’t hear anything.

I did manually enter a conventional frequency and that worked fine.

Each time I download something else, whatever was in the radio is overwritten.

For me, this following info can get very confusing and I forget more than I learn. To most of you, it’s second nature.
The more I read the more difficult it becomes. There is SO much technical information. It’s like reading every book in a library and then you need to do everything you read.

Programming Object Orientated Memory is relatively easy and straight forward compared to Dynamic memory.

The only real confusing twist is that you have to go into the 'Talkgroup' menu to get to the 'Trunked System' menu to create a trunking system. I believe that is so you won't forget to program at least a 'Wildcard' ID which allows you to monitor all talkgroups.

The Trunked System menu is used when editing trunking system objects. To create a Trunked System object see Creating Objects. Trunked system objects are assigned object numbers automatically but are not assigned to scan lists; just the talkgroups associated with the system are assigned to the scan lists. There is a 32 control channel limit for a trunking system. Large Multi-site systems with more than 32 control channels will have to broken up into smaller systems. 'Duplication' will copy a system but each ID can only be associated with one system. You will have to have to re-enter (or duplicate) all the IDs for the new system.

I can at least listen to one frequency !!

RomeRon

Well, one thing I'm having trouble with is the multitude of abbreviations.

I have downloaded Henn Cty Trunked PS25 Auto w/Alpha Tags and heard nothing. I can see that it’s scanning and the Henn Cty is there, but I hear nothing.
I’ve also downloaded the associated Talkgroup IDs and still nothing. The scanner is working hard, I just don’t hear anything.

I did manually enter a conventional frequency and that worked fine.

Each time I download something else, whatever was in the radio is overwritten.

For me, this following info can get very confusing and I forget more than I learn. To most of you, it’s second nature.
The more I read the more difficult it becomes. There is SO much technical information. It’s like reading every book in a library and then you need to do everything you read.

Programming Object Orientated Memory is relatively easy and straight forward compared to Dynamic memory.

The only real confusing twist is that you have to go into the 'Talkgroup' menu to get to the 'Trunked System' menu to create a trunking system. I believe that is so you won't forget to program at least a 'Wildcard' ID which allows you to monitor all talkgroups.

The Trunked System menu is used when editing trunking system objects. To create a Trunked System object see Creating Objects. Trunked system objects are assigned object numbers automatically but are not assigned to scan lists; just the talkgroups associated with the system are assigned to the scan lists. There is a 32 control channel limit for a trunking system. Large Multi-site systems with more than 32 control channels will have to broken up into smaller systems. 'Duplication' will copy a system but each ID can only be associated with one system. You will have to have to re-enter (or duplicate) all the IDs for the new system.

I can at least listen to one frequency !!

"Each time I download something else, whatever was in the radio is overwritten."

You need to do File, Save As and and give it a name when you download from RR, That way you won't lose what you have already downloaded.

gway17

Thank you ROME RON...

As an old IT guy, I did do that and have organized files/names with associated frequencies.

It seems, but maybe it isn't, that when I down load files to the radio, I either lose or can't find the previous frequencies that were loaded, only the new ones.

I'll select different scan lists, but they all seem to be what ever file was the last to load.

I keep reading and pick up a little more each time.

SoftwareJock

How it works

You say you lose everything when you download from RadioReference. Sounds like you are inputting objects into the radio using the keypad and then overwriting them when you upload to the radio using the software.

What you need to do:

1. Download from the scanner to your computer to save everything that is in the scanner.
2. Download from RadioReference. Assign the objects to scanlists.
3. Upload to your scanner.

When you upload to your scanner from the computer, you overwrite everything that is in the scanner.

gway17

Well,,,,that explains the overwrite, thank you SWJock.

This is an small example of what I downloaded into scanlist 3. I can see the
Alpha Tags being scanned, but I never hear anything. (for some reason, not all lined up right, but you get the idea)
The complete list has Apple Valley, Eagan, Lkville, etc, but I never hear anything.

I feel like I'm getting closer and when it works, it will be an "Oh Ya" momment.

48402 MSP 3200 C2C -3 Dkt Cty Group
48404 MSP 3200 T 1 -3 Dkt Cty Group
48406 MSP 3200 T 2 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4300 DK PD 1 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4302 DK PD 2 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4304 DK PD 3 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4306 DK TAC 4 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4308 DK CAR-CAR -3 Dkt Cty Group
4310 DK TAC 10 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4312 DK TAC 11 -3 Dkt Cty Group

gway17

No matter what scan list I download, it seems to be on every channel. Or does hitting a number not change the scan list?

RomeRon

Well,,,,that explains the overwrite, thank you SWJock.

This is an small example of what I downloaded into scanlist 3. I can see the
Alpha Tags being scanned, but I never hear anything. (for some reason, not all lined up right, but you get the idea)
The complete list has Apple Valley, Eagan, Lkville, etc, but I never hear anything.

I feel like I'm getting closer and when it works, it will be an "Oh Ya" momment.

48402 MSP 3200 C2C -3 Dkt Cty Group
48404 MSP 3200 T 1 -3 Dkt Cty Group
48406 MSP 3200 T 2 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4300 DK PD 1 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4302 DK PD 2 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4304 DK PD 3 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4306 DK TAC 4 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4308 DK CAR-CAR -3 Dkt Cty Group
4310 DK TAC 10 -3 Dkt Cty Group
4312 DK TAC 11 -3 Dkt Cty Group

Did you get my PM?
How far away are you from the repeater?

gway17

About saving files...yes sir.
I really don't have any idea where the repeater is.

I'm near 35E and Cty 11.

gway17

Well, I've got 1 freq that I can repeatedly get to work. Not bad for a $300 radio. I have no idea if there is anything at all wrong with the radio or if it's just the learning curve. I've read that some say it's a really easy radio to program.....hhhmmmmmm ????
I've read, followed suggestions and read some more and I'm right where I started.
I think I've got a lot more to learn.......................

RomeRon

Try a wildcard with these frequencies for Dakota county.
853.31250c
851.16250a
853.06250a
853.56250a

gway17

Thanks Ron, I did the Dakota Cty Simulcast, but only selected Apple Valley, Burnsville and Law Enforcement.

Last edited:

gway17

Try a wildcard with these frequencies for Dakota county.
853.31250c
851.16250a
853.06250a
853.56250a

The 853.56250 gives me all static regardless of squelch setting.
Haven't heard anything from the others yet.

Did get a Morse Code Station ID from one of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.