Newbie Newest to the New For Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingradio

We live in Nw AR Carroll County City Berryville. New Gre 600. We have local Utility that is changing from Analog to digital supposedly using the same freq. Doestn't show up to be a trunked system. Name of the utility is Carroll Electric Coop. Probably don't have enough sense to ask the questions that need to be asked. Can anyoone spoon feed me as to what I need to do to receive now that they have changed? I got one piece of info that I didn't have a clue of what to do with Tg53480 and the tower it was coming off of. The local receive freq is 153.605. And have the other rec freqs. Gre 600 might not even work in this situation.
I posted in the AR forum but got no replies. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

captclint

Mentor
This is not what you wanted to hear, but there is no easy way to find out the new system until either someone gets some inside info, or a few interested and experienced members decide to map the system. However, I did do a little research, which will only serve to make the point. I found the following licenses for this company have recently been modified and accepted.
FCC Callsign KKA606 Details which DOES contain the 153.605 and is in Berryville.
FCC Callsign WQKW392 Details
FCC Callsign WQIS461 Details

You may be able to eliminate the other 2 of these that do not have transmitters (FB2 class) near you. You can program any FB2 class freq that is near you as a conventional frequnecy to see what you get. Your digital scanner should be able to receive the digital conversation, but you will have to put up with patchy conversations as they switch from freq to freq. I think this will work as I described, but I don't have any digital systems in my area for experience. Either way, you will need to identify the control channels(steady data stream) and a bunch of other necessary things that will require more experienced help.. Unfortunately, most people are not to interested in Utilities

Last edited:

js_scan888

Your new GRE 600 scanner only does P25 digital. The system is moving toward MOTOTRBO digital and they have already modified their license to include the emission designator 7K60FXE and 7K60FXD for these types of transmissions. Nobody makes a scanner that receives MOTOTRBO digital.

Kingradio

Mototrbo

Js How long has this system been out? Someone down the line will break it I'm sure. Do you think the present scanners Uniden GRE have the capabilities of a firmware upgrade if and when or it will become a door stop. You seem very knowlegible and would respest your judgement. I was led to believe when I bought the GRE that it would decode everything out there except one or two places in Texas and San Franscisco I think it was. So it was probably the Mototrbo. We were in the Satellite and CB Sales and repair for 35 years but dropped out of the scanner line when they went digital.

Thanks very much for your information as it has saved me tons of reading and trial and error.

Bob Edmondson
bobedmondson@cox.net

js_scan888

MOTOTRBO was introduced in 2006. Not sure about a firmware update, I sort of doubt that would happen. For the places in Texas, you might be thinking about Provoice digital on EDACS systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.