Newbie ordered GRE PSR-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

santana

Hi everyone. On the way to me is a GRE PSR-300 handheld scanner, USB cable, and ACR300 software disk. Going to check posts here to see how to go about setting things up. I was wandering, and posted to the software forum the question also, does the registration key come with the software? I would assume it does. I was debating on whether to order the desktop model 400 or the handheld 300. Very interesting posts here about the 300 and audio output with the hiss. Also reviewed posts about different antennas for the 300. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks santana

CStarr59

Santana, great choice in a HH scanner. I've had one for about a year now and it gets lots of use. I used WIN97 to program mine, either way you'll be happy you bought software as it makes it easy to tweak the settings. Mine has a hiss from the speaker but it's not bad, distant frequencies sound that way on this scanner. But close frequencies come in crystal clear. I have come to believe that GRE's are just like that, but make up for it with very clear and loude audio. The display is bright and excellent and the backlight will remain on if you want it to. Battery run time is very good on this radio. I would suggest replacing the antenna right from the start, but depending on where you live the stocker might work ok for you. I've used several different antenna's on this scanner all with great results. Diamond RH77CA, Watson W-801, and the RS 800mhz antenna's are all good choices. The Diamond caused some front end overload for me, but again depending on where you live it could be different. All in all a great scanner, you are going to like it.

santana

thanks CSTAR59

its great to hear from you about the PCR-300. I am searching the posts here for mostly anything that pertains to this scanner. thanks for relaying the hiss problem, or characteristic. I will definitely stay in contact with these forums.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Psr-300

I love the PSR-300 and also use WIN97 to program mine. It is nice because I can use the same software to program my PRO-97s.

When I am at home, mine is connected to an outdoor antenna, a discone. When I am mobile, it is connected to a mag mount on my truck. The only time I use the rubber antenna is hand-held, but have no issues with it whatsoever.

I monitor CHP which is on VHF LOW, a lot of fire frequencies on VHF HI (and a few on 450MHz UHF) and some TRSs on 800 MHz. So I am not able to use an antenna designed for one band, I need them all.

If you have a specific question, please feel free to ask. Happy scanning.

santana

thanks gmclan

I appreciate the feedback. My 300 shud arrive tomorrow, and the cable and software Saturday. As far as getting things started. Am I correct to say, 1. install the driver from the disk for the cable, then update the cable with the latest update. I am not sure if you can just install the update only? Then install the software, or shud i install the software first before the cable, does it matter? Once again, thaks for writing. santana

santana

excellant

I am really surprised at this radio for the price. It is picking up channels my radio shack pro 94, or my bearcat 95XLT have a hard time with. Programming was very quick and easy with the ARC-300 program. There is white noise on weak signals and on strong signals there is hardly any. I wrote GRE and would you believe a support person called me twice and walked me through the setup for the USB cable. I could not believe that. We exchanged emails also. His name is Ragi. I really like the scanner. I am a ham radio operator who operates morse code strictly. I am used to listening to white noise and digging signals out of QRM and QRN. I am in the process of selling my radio shack pro 94, my desktop pro 433, and my Grundig G5. I would like to get a PSR-400 desktop. I used a Diamond RH789 on the handheld. I have a Smiley telescopic whip about 50 inches or so, and when i put that on, it is hard to believe the signals I get having the scanner on the kitchen table. I live in Northumberland county and can get signals from five counties surrounding my county. I thinnk that is amazing for this handheld. The bearcat 95xlt is very quite when it recieves a signal, and i can see why people prefer it. I also run a radio shack discone on the top of my roof about 35 ft for my desktop.
If I can be of any help to anyone about my new scanner, please write me.

CStarr59

Awesome, i'm glad you are happy with it. It is a great scanner, I get a lot of use out of mine day and night.
I can pull in signals 40 miles away with just my watson W-801 antenna. I have no trunking where I live, it's all conventional. but never the less the 300 gets the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.