HP-2: Newbie Problem With Homepatrol2 SD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainMal

I just received my Uniden Homepatrol 2. When I turned it on I got a SD card error message. I downloaded and installed Sentinel software on an old Toshiba lap top running Windows XP and tried to update/fix the SD card. When I plug the HP2 into the USB port on the lap top Sentinel does not see it. The same Sd error comes up on the screen of the HP2 and I can't go any further.

I confess to being a Mac guy, so now I'm stuck.

Any solutions, fixes, words of wisdom?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just received my Uniden Homepatrol 2. When I turned it on I got a SD card error message. I downloaded and installed Sentinel software on an old Toshiba lap top running Windows XP and tried to update/fix the SD card. When I plug the HP2 into the USB port on the lap top Sentinel does not see it. The same Sd error comes up on the screen of the HP2 and I can't go any further.

I confess to being a Mac guy, so now I'm stuck.

Any solutions, fixes, words of wisdom?
First thing I'd suggest that you do is take off the back cover of the scanner, and pull the batteries so that you can verify that the micro-SD card is in place correctly. There have been several posts recently where someone has just received a "new" scanner (HP-1, HP-2, 436HP, 536HP, or one of the Whistler scanners), and no card was installed. Which leads to the conclusion that more likely, instead of being 'absolutely new', the unit received was actually a repackaged return, and the card was not included.

If the card is present, you may want to try formatting it, Use the SDF Formatter program. The card should be formatted as FAT32.

When you connect the scanner to the pc using the supplied cable, do you hear the usual 'thump' noise indicating that the pc recognizes a USB device?

Your best bet to access & format the card would be to use a card reader. Either one that will accept the micro-SD card directly, or one that can accept the adapter that generally comes with new micro cards, to use a slot or reader for the full size SD card.

If your scanner actually did not have a card, or you cannot get the included one to be recognized and formatted either in an external reader, or while the scanner is connected to the pc, you may need to simply get a new one. The scanner will take up to a 32gb card. Cards are available a number of places, retail stores and online from sources like Amazon. Note that if your scanner was supposed to be new, you might also contact the seller to have them either send you a card, or give you a credit toward buying one. It's a good idea to have a spare card anyway, so I would suggest obtaining one, even if you can get the current one (if any) to work.

CaptainMal

Thanks Steve. Your help is appreciated.

There is a SD card in the radio. I have tried formatting it and several other SD cards in a card reader and none of them can be read by the radio. I did format them on my Mac, but as FAT32 format. I have tried the 4 gig card in the radio, a 8 gig Scandisk Ultra, and a 16 gig ScanDisk Ultra. These are cards I use regularly in my GoPro cameras, so I know they are good cards.

I don't seem to be able (or know how) to format any of these cards in my Toshiba lap top. They appear on "My Computer" all right when I plug in the card reader, but it wants to limit the format to 200 meg. Is this a function of Windows XP, or is there some way to set this to the size of the card?

Since I can't get past the SD card error screen on the radio I have not been able to connect it to my lap top, unless there is some way to do that that I don't know about.

Windows is baffling to Mac folks, and it is really unfortunate that Uniden doesn't offer their stuff as Mac compatible. Rant off.

CaptainMal

OK, so I downloaded SDF Formatter and reformatted the SD card. Still showing SD card error when I turn on the radio.

Anybody else got some help? Suggestions? Anything?

CaptainMal

So, I solved the problem myself.

I put the SD card in my SD card reader and plugged it into my lap top. I booted Sentinel and selected "clear user data" from the Homepatrol menu. I selected "show all drives" in the pop-up window, and selected my card reader from the drives listed. Click on "OK" and Voila!

Radio now working as advertised.

marksmith

SDFORMATTER is a good program. It has formatted cards that I have given up on. And the scanners read them after use.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

CaptainMal

Mark,

Glad it works for you. I did not have the same luck with it. Hence my workaround to get the SD card working.

I use a lot of SD cards with my video work, so it's not like I have a lot of issues with the cards themselves, provided I purchase from quality manufacturers.

This problem seems to me to stem from the radio itself and its sensitivity to how cards are formatted.

My $.02.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So, I solved the problem myself.

I put the SD card in my SD card reader and plugged it into my lap top. I booted Sentinel and selected "clear user data" from the Homepatrol menu. I selected "show all drives" in the pop-up window, and selected my card reader from the drives listed. Click on "OK" and Voila!

Radio now working as advertised.
Glad you got it going.

I still would suggest that you obtain another card, to use as a backup. Hopefully, you would not need it, at least not on any regular basis. But the cards are so inexpensive, it's cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.