NEWBIE.....programming questions..HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewgds

Hey gang...new here and to scanning. Picked up a Pro-96, Win 96, and cable. Cable ports working fine...ummmm...went into upload and now have "all channels locked" message....I understand this to me that I cleared all of the programming outta the bugger...GREAT! Tried downloading new freq. from RR.com through Win96.....still getting lock out message....guess I kinda screwed the pooch huh? Live in Greater Seattle area and own a high end jewelry boutique, thought the scanner a good thing for keeping track of any imminent threats and such....police station is only two blocks away, and when I see 5 or 6 units blow past the store w/ lights flashing...well, it's a little disquieting not knowing what's going on.....anyway, help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Saint

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
hmm... in Win96 check and make sure that the column "LOut" under the "Channels" tab is NOT blackened (if it is all the channels are locked from the scanning operation). To me it seems you might have ALL the channels locked out on a bank. Does this solve it?

If not, can you go in to manual mode and type up what the screen display is for any frequency...

N8IAA

Hey gang...new here and to scanning. Picked up a Pro-96, Win 96, and cable. Cable ports working fine...ummmm...went into upload and now have "all channels locked" message....I understand this to me that I cleared all of the programming outta the bugger...GREAT! Tried downloading new freq. from RR.com through Win96.....still getting lock out message....guess I kinda screwed the pooch huh? Live in Greater Seattle area and own a high end jewelry boutique, thought the scanner a good thing for keeping track of any imminent threats and such....police station is only two blocks away, and when I see 5 or 6 units blow past the store w/ lights flashing...well, it's a little disquieting not knowing what's going on.....anyway, help would be appreciated.Thanks!Saint

When the scanner is turned on, push all of the number buttons except the '0'. Push 'MAN' and see if there is a 'L' on the top line of the display. It should read (M000...DL.+..). If it has the 'L' after the 'D' (delay), it means the channel is locked out. The next line of the display shows the frequency programmed into the scanner. The third line is the alphatag line. The fourth line will show tone squelch in the conventional mode, or, another alphatag line for Talk Groups (TG) that have been programmed into the radio.
HTH,
Larry

ewgds

Lout not checked...

nope..."LOut" is not blacked out...not sure of what you mean on your manual instructions

Thanks!

n2mdk

Make sure the correct COM port is selected in the software, if your using the mono adapter on the cable remove it. I don't have a working copy of Win96 but in the area where you set the COM port in the software try checking off the Extra Write time and Enable Readback Tests if it has that option. Then try uploading the data into the scanner again.

ewgds

When the scanner is turned on, push all of the number buttons except the '0'. Push 'MAN' and see if there is a 'L' on the top line of the display. It should read (M000...DL.+..). If it has the 'L' after the 'D' (delay), it means the channel is locked out. The next line of the display shows the frequency programmed into the scanner. The third line is the alphatag line. The fourth line will show tone squelch in the conventional mode, or, another alphatag line for Talk Groups (TG) that have been programmed into the radio.
HTH,
Larry

no luck here yet....thanks!

N8IAA

no luck here yet....thanks!

What does your scanner show when you go to manual mode? If there are no frequencies, your scanner did not receive them from the software. Do what Jerri has suggested and make sure that the mono adapter isn't on the cable. Make sure that the cable is in the USB port properly. To make sure what com port you are on: right click on my computer, click on properties, click on hardware, click on hardware manager, click on the + sign next to ports, it will tell you what the USB com port is. Make the adjustment under configure in the software. Click on the extra time feature. Load your frequencies into the radio and let us know if it worked. Make sure the radio is on :))
Larry

ewgds

Ports check out...

Com port checks out.....when I uploaded the config. parameters from RR via Win96 the USB adapter was "lightih, up lie a CHlistmast Tlee Captain" so, assuming the connections are solid. I did go into the web download area and tried again...selected some sites, checked boxes...went to download and panel said
"0" for box marked channels marked/selected...this didn't make sense to me...I'll keep trying what all you very helpful community members are recommending...,thanks tons all for your help.

Saint

ewgds

Okay....might be onto something here...the serial converter usb cable is showing up in devise manager under usb "0" gateway....so, how to convert this to an access port??? Went into win96 config. and there's no "0" port.....yet again...help????

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
In win96, go to "Configuration" in the menu bar. Under this you will see "Serial Port..." change this setting tothe serial port used for your programming cable.

ewgds

Thanks...tried that, but the port box doesn't show the number "0" and that's what the serial converter is showing....I've got this happy talent for making the inane appear difficult. Thanks for your help, I'll keep plugging away.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks...tried that, but the port box doesn't show the number "0" and that's what the serial converter is showing

Can you explain how the serial converter is showing "0?" You are using the RS 20-047 programming cable right?

Also, when you turn on the scanner and it goes through the boot up then welcome message, what does it display afterwards? Line for line type it and we may be able to do this...

Also, as N8IAA asked, what happens when the unit is on and you press "MAN" to get to manual mode?
Press "MAN" then 0-0-0, then "MAN" again. If the unit cycles to Bank 0, Channel 00 type what the screen looks like.

Basically what does the screen display for you on startup or in manual mode?

ewgds

Okay.. when doing the Man. 0-0-0 Man. command line by line reads:

M000...D.+FM
Bank 0 Ch 00
SoKingCo

So, it would appear that something got through, as our biz is located in South King County and that's the first bank I downloaded into...so, something took somewhere.

Okay...now line for line when scanner turned on:Welcome to /digital Scanning

and same as prior above (ibid. SoKingCo")...

then, when I punch "scan" the line reads as follows:

0**3******
+**+******
All channels
Locked out!

That''s it guys...thanks!

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
hmmm...

well it sent some info b/c the Bank title got in there- so the ports are right.

How many freqs do you have in Bank 0? What is the frequency? Have you tried programming a couple in manually to see if that changes things?

lost_in_maine

M000...D.+FM
Bank 0 Ch 00
SoKingCo

What about trying Bank 0- channel 01?

if it is a trunked system, usually the first channel in a bank is left empty,
You can still enter an Alpha Tag, even if the channel has no freq entered

Last edited:

N8IAA

What operating system are you using XP, Vista? You don't need to download the drivers to the pc. The drivers are already there. Turn the pc off. Plug in the cable. Turn the pc on and let the computer do the install. Go to device manager and see what USB com port is being used. Change the configuration in Win96 to that port. I almost pulled the rest of my hair out trying to get it to work. It has worked flawlessly since.
Larry

Last edited:

ewgds

I'll give these a shot tomorrow....thanks to all for both your guidance... and patience!

Thanks!
Saint

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

M000...D.+FM
Bank 0 Ch 00
SoKingCo

So, it would appear that something got through, as our biz is located in South King County and that's the first bank I downloaded into...so, something took somewhere.

Okay...now line for line when scanner turned on:Welcome to /digital Scanning

and same as prior above (ibid. SoKingCo")...

then, when I punch "scan" the line reads as follows:

0**3******
+**+******
All channels
Locked out!

That''s it guys...thanks!
You may have not selected any of the site blocks (frequencies) for Seattle king County Public Safety. In Win96 click the + next to Sites: 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.