Newbie question about Loudoun County

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2brown

Feed Provider
Sorry for the newbie question but I've got limited time to find an answer:

Can somebody tell me if the Loudoun County system can be received by the Uniden BC250 with the P25 card installed, or does it require one of the x96 series?

Many thanks.

jeff
sdg

DavidNVA

You should not have a problem with picking them up with a 250D, for the time being anyway. Once re-banding happens though, you're going to have to upgrade scanners.

I just sold my 250D/P25 Card last week for this very reason.

j2brown

Feed Provider
First, thanks for your reply. I hadn't had time to dig up the answer on my own yet, and I was trying to "work smarter, not harder".

Second, when is this re-banding supposed to happen?

There's no way that one of the x96 is in the budget for me, so I'm hoping to save a bit if I can find a decent deal on the 250. I get the sense that it won't be worth the investment, though.

jeff
sdg

DavidNVA

For some background on rebanding, check out this link - http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

According to the chart there, it should be finished in our area in or around 2008. I have no idea how accurate that is.

Even when rebanding does happen the 250D would still make an excellent conventional scanner, in fact I'm somewhat bummed out that I sold mine as I feel the digital audio quality and the sensitivity was better on my 250D than my new 396.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
Rebanding in 2008?

Per the FCC, all of rebanding should be completed in 2008. Ha!

Check out mrtmag.com and read about the woes of rebanding.

The big deal with Loudoun County and the others in the DC area, is the fact they are in the DC area. A big web of interoperability is established there right now. They don't want to lose it during or after rebanding. So....everyone wants to wait to reband at the same time. That's a lot of prep work.

All of the subscribers have to be reprogrammed first, which can be done at any time. Then, all of the infrastructure has to be cut at or near the same time, region-wide. That's the tough nut to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.