Newbie question. Digital or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edshakes

So i'm new to this. I have not even bought a scanner yet..but would like to. i'm curious. I live on a main road in Northwestern Connecticut (litchfield county) so i hear every cop, ambulance, and fire truck going by me. So, if i wanted to know what was going on a scanner might give me clues. i know the rinkey-dink fire trunks and volunteer ambulance here are most likely on an analogue signal. but am i correct in assuming CT State Police are 100% digital regardless of where in the state they are? So if I wanted to hear the State Police i would need a Trunking Digital Scanner? Anything else I would pick up nothing from them?

Any clarification would be great.. The other thing I'd like to do.. I like to drive down to BDL in Windsor Locks to just watch planes.. and if i want to hear ATC, I could pick that up with a scanner too right?

Good models? It's kind of depressing that Digital Scanners cost upwards of $500. but i guess it's a luxury some people here don't mind paying right? How much use would I get out of a $500 scanner before it became obsolete?

That's all my newbie questions for now. Thanks guys!

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
According to the Database for Litchfield County: Litchfield County, Connecticut (CT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Looks like everything is Conventional which means you don't even need a trunking Scanner. If you do want to hear the State Police you will need a Trunking Scanner and it does need to be digital.

As far as BDL Bradley International Airport (BDL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

it too operates on conventional frequencies. So Basically the only reason to get a Digital Scanner is for the State Police. And if you do decide to get a digital scanner you will have no problems monitoring anything else you mentioned.

You may want to ask more specific questions about your area to the Connecticut Forums
Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums
they should be able to guide you further.

edshakes

a quick response to my questions. thanks, mate.

it's off to eBay to find one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.