Newbie/ Question on Temecula to Oceanside Freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMILLS

My wife and I decided on getting our Ham license for Emergency situations. We live in Temecula and I work in Oceanside(about 30 miles from each other). Looking on getting a couple Yaesu FT-60R for us both and upgrading rubber duck.

I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself but was wondering what repeater would work best for us at that range and area??? Would it be the Palomar Mtn. repeater or maybe something more north???

Posted question in San Diego thread also. Wasn't sure wich area to post in considering we live in Temecula (Inland Empire) and I work in Oceanside (San Diego County)

Thanks
TMILLS

TMILLS

Thanks for the input guy's!!!

I have another question? Do most repeaters work endependently? Or are quit a few linked together like the WIN System. WINSYSTEM.ORG

Would I be capable of using the win system to get up past the Bay area with my 5 watt hand held or do you need more watts for that?

Thanks TMILLS

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Thanks for the input guy's!!!

I have another question? Do most repeaters work endependently? Or are quit a few linked together like the WIN System. WINSYSTEM.ORG

Would I be capable of using the win system to get up past the Bay area with my 5 watt hand held or do you need more watts for that?

Thanks TMILLS

Most repeaters tend to be stand-alone, but many are linked. Be aware that MOST of the linked systems are closed, private systems that require membership to use. WIN is a notable exception.

Try looking at their website to see what coverage they advertise.

cousinkix1953

You should be able to communicate on one of the better repeaters.

The WIN system is the alternate to buying a HF transceiver, a linear amplifier and putting a huge antenna in the back yard. You can talk to anybody on earth with that little HT using repeaters that are on line too. I hear guys in California, chewing the fat with people in Australia and the UK on the way to work in the mornings. And I hear the clear FM audio instead of the shortwave static too...

Status
Not open for further replies.