Newbie question regarding radio reference and freescan

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin256

Can someone tell me the steps to use radioreference regarding transferring frequencies to my 325p2 using freescan

What I am doing is going to radio reference then hitting the county I want and hitting download. I get a screen of frequencies that appear to be a spreadsheet. That's where I get lost Thanks much

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Frequencies are downloaded from RR through FreeSCAN. I'm not at my home computer right now so I can't say for sure, but the RR download, or import, option should be within the drop-down menus. Once you access the import option, you'll need to sign in once to RR using your account information. You'll make the rest of your choices from within this menu.

admin256

Many thanks just confused on when you get the spread sheet how to get them to freescan. I see copy but what do you hit next when freescan is open

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You can only import frequencies from within FreeSCAN. You don't even need an open browser for the process. The downloads found in RR Database section are for reference purposes only.

admin256

Thank you so how do I get the frequencies to freescan from the spreadsheet so to speak. I see some frequencies on rr that I don't see on freescan

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so how do I get the frequencies to freescan from the spreadsheet so to speak. I see some frequencies on rr that I don't see on freescan
Are you referring to additional frequencies within agencies you've already imported into FreeSCAN? Or are you referring to different agencies or services not seen when importing in FreeSCAN? The reason for the latter is that when importing from RR, you need to first tell FreeSCAN to list either conventional or trunked frequencies and services. Either choice will reveal a different grouping of importable frequencies. To program everything from your area for local, state, or federal frequencies, you'll likely have to do multiple imports.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What you see in FreeSCAN are choices as to what you want to import into the software. For trunked frequencies, use the sate and county dop down selections to narrow down your choices.

See if the FreeSCAN User Guide helps.

As to "frequencies that are on RR that are not in FreeSCAN" can you be more specific, such as a link to the database page for the system or county page you're looking at?. No frequency or talkgroup will "be in FreeSCAN" unless you specfiically import it. For conventional frequencies (not trunked systems) if you have the option set to show input frequencies, those inputs will not show in your impot options, because those are what feed into the repeater. The repeater out frequencies are what needs to be programmed, not the inputs.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber

admin256

Does anyone know of any easy tutorials that explains quick keys. Trying to program 325p2 with freescan but cant seem to understand the quick key set up Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you search youtube - there are several videos on how to use FreeScan. There is also an online help wiki, which is based here on this site. You can get to it via 'Help / Online Help' from within FreeScan.

You can also check out the Easier to Read guide, viz.

Easier to Read BCD325P2 Digital Scanner Manual

There are several types of quick keys - however if you look, you will see that the GQKs (group quick keys) are all set as active by FreeScan as a default. However System Quick Keys are something you have to do yourself. And it's a bit different if you are programming a trunked system (with sites, and you should keep in mind that site trunking is the default) or a conventional system. The above will make this clear

Precisely what is it that you are trying to program? Be specific - go to our database and give us the URL of the entry you are trying to use. With that we all can help a lot more instead of just shooting in the dark....Mike

admin256

Can someone help me I am trying to use freescan to put frequencies on which I totally understand. I don't know how to create quick keys. Have read it over and over
Can someone maybe tell me the steps in an easier way

Thanks

admin256

Using freescan to put frequencies on a 325p2 No problem with that but cant figure out how to use the program to create quick keys. Does anyone have easy instructions
Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm certain I already answered this question, but can't find it - so here we go again...

The Freescan user guide has a fairly extensive discussion on this very topic. You can get to it via 'help / online help' from within the program or go here.....

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FreeScan_User_Guide

FS pre-allocates all 10 of the Group Quick Keys for you, but you can turn them on or off at your desire. System quick keys are a bit different depending on whether you are programming a conventional or trunked system. It's important to realize that the 325 does trunking by the site, not system (as it was with the older DMA scanners).

At the end of the guide there are links for YouTube videos. Undoubtedly there are more than listed there - a well structured search should turn them up

Mike

Melted

Hi,

I am trying to import Amateur radio repeaters found on the following page in RR - https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&ctid=4288&tab=ham#cats - and can't find a way to do it.

I have FreeScan and Uniden BC246T, as well as premium RR account. I can see all other groups and agencies for Durham region (and anywhere else), but that specific Amateur Radio tab is nowhere to be found in FreeScan when trying to import. Same with Toronto page... Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Melted

Never mind, I figured it out :) Just had to select bands when uploading - that was the confusing part.

Status
Not open for further replies.