Newbie Question - Scanner Type and Use Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool1959

Hi All,
I've been a registered user lurking and reading for a while but the fairly recent loss of the Anne Arundel County PD Western District feed has motivated me to do something. I definitely want to control my own ability to monitor the area around my house by buying a scanner and if it isn't too heavy of a lift, I'd apply to supply the Western Feed to the other folks that got used to listening to it.
In addition to AAPD Western, I think I'd be interested in listening to AA Fire & EMS and Maryland State Police. I think I'd like to start out with something like a BCD536HP fixed in my house as I don't immediately think I would need a portable. I'm located in the northern 3rd of the 21113 zip code.
I have done some research about what capabilities I would need in a scanner (P25) but before I drop the cash, I figured I should ask in here since I'll be using it in Maryland. I am not super technical but was a comms ET in the Navy a long time ago and have programmed a couple of radios with CHIRP before and I intend on taking the HAM technician test soon.
Any suggestions, including directions to reading resources would be greatly appreciated.

troymail

Silent Key

OldSchool1959

Thanks gentlemen. I've already gone through the Easier to Read manual on the BCD436/536 and will go check out the other links that you have supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.