Newbie Question Southwestern Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkwayfun

Premium Subscriber
newb here with a pretty simple question I hope.

I really want to listen to the following and I need to know what the best scanner for it is.

Windsor police, fire
Windsor Essex EMS
OPP
Essex County Fire - I don't just want to listen to the dispatch I want to hear it all.

Thanks in advance guys.

oh... I am looking at a 396XT Uniden

rc1990

I really want to listen to the following and I need to know what the best scanner for it is.

Windsor police, fire
Windsor Essex EMS
OPP
Essex County Fire - I don't just want to listen to the dispatch I want to hear it all.

Thanks in advance guys.

Windsor Police cannot be monitored because they are use encrypted talkgroup on the Windsor Public Safety Project 25 System Trunking System, Windsor, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies, however fire is digital on the same system.

EMS is analog provincewide Bell Fleetnet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies, OPP is digital on the same system. Essex County Fire Services used to be on Essex County Fire Trunking System, Windsor, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies, but they are not there anymore. So for fire, look at Essex County, Ontario (ON) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference. As far as I can see, the county fire services operate on conv freq.

Since in your couty you have a mixture of analog and digital transmission (depending on the service heard), the scanner you mentioned is the first post (396XT) would be fine since it'a a truncktraker scanner, which is what you need to monitor system like the on with Wondsor Fire Service uses, and it's a scanner that can monitor both analog (conventionnal freq and EMS) and digital (Fire and OPP) transmission.

Hope this helps. Happy Scanning.

I'll let the guys from that region answer the more specific question (like which tower to monitor, units id's...) and suggest you the best scanner to buy, but from what i gathered from the database and what you said in your post, the scanner you mention should be able to pick up what you want to listen.

Last edited:

se

Hi.

Hi.

Or you could splurge abit and buy a UNIDEN HomePatrol-1. Its about the easiest scanner to program both analog and digital trunking radio systems-Ive had mine since October 5th 2010. I love it for the most part. You still cannot monitor encrypted systems on it but I hope the day comes when municipalities in Canada wake up and realize that the public (law abiding that is) does have the right to monitor public funded radio systems. I think the use of encryption 24/7 puts a strain on a municipalities finances. Anyway enough of my rants and raves and have fun with the hobby.

Sheldon.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Parkwayfun said:

Windsor police, fire
Windsor Essex EMS
OPP

Thanks in advance guys.

I prefer Uniden scanners and am fond of the scanner you are looking at. I also have a Home Patrol scanner and like SE I love it also! Even though you can't monitor the Windsor police service a 396XT will handle the Opp and all the action across the river in Detroit.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

se said:
Hi.

Or you could splurge abit and buy a UNIDEN HomePatrol-1. Its about the easiest scanner to program both analog and digital trunking radio systems-Ive had mine since October 5th 2010. I love it for the most part. You still cannot monitor encrypted systems on it but I hope the day comes when municipalities in Canada wake up and realize that the public (law abiding that is) does have the right to monitor public funded radio systems. I think the use of encryption 24/7 puts a strain on a municipalities finances. Anyway enough of my rants and raves and have fun with the hobby.

Sheldon.

Sheldon: why do you have to go on and on like others here about encryption? The person simply wanted advice about what scanner to get and you go on a long spiel about encryption... Its a waste of time, we gotta get over this feeling that we taxpayers have a consititutional right to scan our police. We don't and no one really cares about yours and other opinions on encryption.

se

I did answer this persons question firstly. And I realize that people in this forum will tell me to take my comments to the Encryption forum but that forum is too general for my liking on the subject. I wanted to be more specific to my city as well as other cities in Canada. I dont think the encryption debate is over by a long shot. I wonder if there are any hidden costs to a city where a police department uses an encrypted system. Especially in this day and age when city budgets are being tightened.Mind you though as I have said before encryption need only be used in cases of homicides and incidents involving children.

Sheldon.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Guys, please start your own thread if you want to discuss encryption.

Let the OP get the help he needs without a bunch of off topic posts.

Thanks.

ve3zo

I use a 396xt and live in the same area...works fine for me.

County fire is on LTR passport ( not trackable by any scanner on the market ) along with other services in the county, so you must listen to everyone on the system. Mostly annoying during the day when the other services are active.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I use a 396T In Windsor As mentioned , you will be able to hear fire , some local business , security
county fire ,...some city services ,detroit is a bit sketchy to get it comes in really choppy for me , I might try a new antenna & a base scanner one day to try to get the detroit system better ,..you can hear OPP for now
but I think it is drawing their attention how popular it is to monitor them ,...So I wouldn't be surprised if they turn on enc one day too, dont forget it is also an excellent area for aircraft & marine monitoring ,especially in the summer months ,...either way whatever you want to monitor the radio your looking at should give you all you can technically & legally hear ,..which unfortunately will not include WPD & a few surrounding PD's as well but theres nothing you can do about that .

About the county fire,....Im pretty sure I still hear calls paged on
153.77000 BM 123.0 PL EssexCnty FS Fire - Dispatch FM Fire Dispatch
469.93750 RM 136.5 PL EssexCtyRptr County Fire Repeater FM Fire Dispatch

Last edited:

Command30

detroit is a bit sketchy to get it comes in really choppy for me , I might try a new antenna & a base scanner one day to try to get the detroit system better

Even in Detroit the reception is rather poor - it typically drops right off at the city limit in my experience. You're better off listening to the RR Live Feed using 3G on your wireless device.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Even in Detroit the reception is rather poor - it typically drops right off at the city limit in my experience. You're better off listening to the RR Live Feed using 3G on your wireless device.

Ya even the feed sounds choppy sometimes ,...Id like to hear some of the other tgs on the system ,...I was just wondering If from Windsor with a directional antenna on a tower would help ,...If I knew for sure That I had another 3-5 years of OPP in the clear & that I could finally get the detroit system without problem Id pick up a 996T

like whats already been mentioned the most activity to monitor around here now is aircraft & marine

Status
Not open for further replies.