Newbie question - using tags with radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5map

I am in the process of setting up a feed for my volunteer fire department. We will be using one of our Kenwood mobile radios instead of a scanner as the source. Is there anyway to inject tags into the feed since we will not be using a scanner?

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
No. Tags come from a connection between the scanner and the software like Proscan or RadioFeed, they scanner says hey I stopped on this channel and the software puts the tags into the feed.

If you are only setting up 1 radio for one FD you don't really need tags since it will always be the same content will it not?

k5map

Well that was what I expected but had hope someone found a way to inject them into the feed :)

I am going to be setting up a two radio feed (our fire dept has dispatch and fire ground channel) and was hoping to use tags to educate the public as to what channel they were listening. I will proceed with using a stereo setup so the listener can distinguish the channel via left-right speaker.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yes you can insert a tag that never changes such as "My City FD Dispatch" using my free RadioFeed program.

Basic Steps
  1. Create a text file using notepad or any text editor.
  2. Put in "My City FD Dispatch".
  3. Save the file.

In RadioFeed
  4. Click the "Metadata" tab.
  5. Click the File option.
  6. Select the file from step 1.

k5map

Bob,

Forgot to ask... do I need a separate file for each of the audio feeds (left & right)?

Yes you can insert a tag that never changes such as "My City FD Dispatch" using my free RadioFeed program.

Basic Steps
  1. Create a text file using notepad or any text editor.
  2. Put in "My City FD Dispatch".
  3. Save the file.

In RadioFeed
  4. Click the "Metadata" tab.
  5. Click the File option.
  6. Select the file from step 1.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob,

Forgot to ask... do I need a separate file for each of the audio feeds (left & right)?

One file as the metadata is common to both channels.

[EDIT] You may want to put in the file descriptions of the channels such as "Left Ch. City Dispatch - Right Ch. City Fire Ground"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.