Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeto68

I am interested in purchasing a "scanner" but am not sure what type I need. I would like to pick up the Laf. police dep. , Lafayette Sheriff Dep., ect. Any advice and/or information will be appreciated.

kevins669

Database Admin
Welcome to RR.com... Unfortunately, those agencies have elected to encrypt their communications, so you will be unable to monitor their communications.

That being said, there are other agencies that you can listen to in that area.

You should first consult the RR wiki, to learn about trunked radio systems, and the scanners that are available to listen to them.

GRE and Uniden both make scanners that can monitor other agencies in your area.

Second, consult the RR Database, and you will be able to see the already-identified agencies that are available to you.

Good luck.

-- Kevin

Skeeto68

Thanks Kevin. I am guessing this is a game of cat and mouse so this will be a temporary moment of silence ? The equiptment prices will reflect the importance of the game.

Skeeto68

Kevin, I have alot to learn from what i have just viewed. What would you suggest if I were to purchase something today ( handheld ). I am in Broussard LA. Are the 2 units listed in the LATIE thread something I should consider? Thanks in advance.

teebee

It is my understanding they are still using there 800 system and have not switched to LATIE as of yet. They are not encrypted at this time again from what I undertand they will not encrypt for some time. The only two scanners that will monitor LATIE is the Uniden BC996T and the 396. These two models will along with many other models will monitor 800 systems. I am unaware of any other models that will trunk LATIE. There are many other agencies in that area are on 800 and using LATIE. St. Martin S.O., Vermillion S.O. and Acadian Ambulance are the main ones at this time on LATIE. Troop I should be making the switch soon as well. Hope this helps you. Acadia Parish, Lafayette Parish, Troop I, Iberia S.O. and other agencies are still using 800. Hope this helps you.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
teebee said:
It is my understanding they are still using there 800 system and have not switched to LATIE as of yet. They are not encrypted at this time again from what I undertand they will not encrypt for some time. The only two scanners that will monitor LATIE is the Uniden BC996T and the 396. ...
Since the OP is looking for a hand held the BCD396T is one choice. The GRE PSR-500 is another, those are (currently) the only 2 HH scanners available that can monitor LATIE.

kevins669

Database Admin
teebee said:
It is my understanding they are still using there 800 system and have not switched to LATIE as of yet. They are not encrypted at this time again from what I undertand they will not encrypt for some time. The only two scanners that will monitor LATIE is the Uniden BC996T and the 396. These two models will along with many other models will monitor 800 systems. I am unaware of any other models that will trunk LATIE.

Landman just posted in another thread... "Most of what I hear is 95% in the clear."

I assume he hears transmissions that are encrypted, if he made that statement.

teebee said:
The only two scanners that will monitor LATIE is the Uniden BC996T and the 396. These two models will along with many other models will monitor 800 systems. I am unaware of any other models that will trunk LATIE.

Check out the Scanner Models Discussion...New scanners since November.

-- Kevin

red8

That truly sucks about the Lafayette system, one thing that is good though.
Troop I and Acadian are not encrypted. I have been busy putting the TGID's in and could not put in Lafayette PD or SO.
red8

Landman

Yeah I am hearing a few talkgroups belonging to Vermilion Parish that are encrypted. I can tell who they are by the talkgroup ID numbers. Notice that all talkgroups for a particular parish are lumped together except for the coord call and coord talk talkgroups. I have occasionally heard brief transmissions on some of the talkgroups assigned to the Lafayette Parish agencies and they were all encrypted.

Most of what I hear from the Lafayette tower is St Martin SO, Vermilion SO main dispatch channel, various state police talkgroups, Acadian Ambulance, various Jefferson and St. Bernard Parish agencies, various Avoyelles parish agencies and they are all in the clear except for what I mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.