Newbie question

TKift

OK, we’re sitting here in Long Beach. I have my new SDS100 and my brother has his new Homepatrol-2. Why are we not picking up the any of the Long Beach Police frequencies despite a lot of frequencies listed in RR?

Thanks again, Terry

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 and Homepatrol can’t pick up analog. Just read it on the home page for the HP2.
You obviously misread something. Both handle analog conventional just fine. First thing's first: Make sure you have the Law Dispatch & Law Tac service types turned on. Did you and your bro use Sentinel to program? Secondly ensure the favorites list containing the frequencies is set to monitor on

TKift

OK, we do have the law categories on and we use Sentinel. But I can't find where to turn on the monitor for the favorites. I have no favorites right now.

I thought I saw somewhere that the attenuator has to be turned on, whatever that is.

Thanks

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
TKift, take another peek at the manual. It talks about attenuator, service types, etc.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I always program a Favorites list, but it takes a lot of effort. I suspect you used the zip code feature. As stated, make sure the service types are on that match to what you're trying to monitor. I guess you're using the stock antenna. ? Are you near something that might interfere (computer, cell tower, other device that emits RF)? What do you receive? When you are receiving NOAA Weather channel, what kind of signal level do you see? It could help determine if something is blocking your signal path (although they'd likely be different between NOAA and Long Beach).

TKift

We finally got all of the Long Beach police channels. We extended the range a bit (my brother had it set for 10 miles) and when we froze the radio on Long Beach, I could show him the other frequencies are being scanned.

Thanks

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
When you use the zip code or GPS functions, depending on which "service types" are checked, you are going to hear everything within the range. This can significantly slow the radio down.

I was shocked when I noticed that Long Beach is still using analog. I am not impressed with the performance of the SDS 100 on conventional analog frequencies. The SDS 100 performs quite well on digital conventional frequencies.

It seems as though the input and output frequencies need to be programmed in order to hear dispatch/mobile units.

I strongly recommend getting help from the locals.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: