newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hello, i currently live in fremont, and am using the radio shack pro-83 scanner, it works great, its really all i need here in fremont, i was considering getting myself an early christmas present since they're currently "on sale", its the radio shack pro-97 scanner, i was just wondering if i will be able to listen to the omaha police department with it? if so will i need to be near omaha to hear it? or would i be able to pick it up in fremont?? i have no idea how the whole digital/tower thing works, since i live in fremont.... thanks for any help, here is a link to the scanner

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...cp=&origkw=pro-97&kw=pro-97&parentPage=search

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-97 is an analog only scanner, you need one that will decode P25 (digital).

jakegday

Banned
crap, do you have any recommendations?

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber

SCPD

QRT
jakegday said:
crap, do you have any recommendations?
Uniden BCD-996 for mobile/base works great and I love mine, I get good reception of the Omaha system while mobile in Fremont with the 996 clear and no garble.
Uniden BCD-396 for portable unknown about the reception but from what I hear works great.

Last edited:

jakegday

Banned
well thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it, i wasnt planning on spending nearly that much $$$ so it looks like im gonna stay analog for a while, once again, thanks!

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Howdy, Jakegday, and all!

I have a 396T that I use all the time when I am in Fremont and have very little problem listening to the Omaha (ORIN) system. The signal from that tall Elkhorn tower really blasts into the Fremont area.

For the money and portability, the 396T is hard to beat. I don't have any experience with the 996T, but if Nate sings its praises, you can be sure that it's a good unit.

You should also be able to listen to the Washington County and OPPD subsystems, as well.

For the Fremont area, the closest OPPD tower is at Cedar Bluffs, with Telbasta (north of Arlington) being a close second. The nearest Washington County tower comes from the OPPD Telbasta site, as well.

Have a GREAT day!

73's

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
That's always a tough call... buy a portable or mobile... for me I often go with mobiles because I spend more time in my truck and didn't want to have to keep remembering to recharge batteries, etc. But then again you always have the convenience of a portable being able to take it with you to a lot more places. Haven't been to Dodge Co much, but from what the other guys say you shouldn't have a problem with getting the ORIN system.

They will probably go on sale a little closer to Christmas, or like right after Thanksgiving since that it the big sale day.

twister19

I have a pro97 that I use as well to listen to quite a bit of stuff thats still analog around here. This helps to free up the Uniden for other things that are digital and to help not miss as much.

Attachments

• twister19_p97.jpg
    twister19_p97.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.