Newbie questions about Field Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

I didn't become licensed as a radio amateur until late last year, so I am unacquainted with Field Day. A few questions:

I am not a member of ARRL. Is this a requirement to participate in FD events (since it is an ARRL sponsored event)? Can I respond to CQs from what are obviously FD operators or are they only looking for contacts with operators at other FD events?

Thx!

WF6L

WF6L

I didn't become licensed as a radio amateur until late last year, so I am unacquainted with Field Day. A few questions:

I am not a member of ARRL. Is this a requirement to participate in FD events (since it is an ARRL sponsored event)? Can I respond to CQs from what are obviously FD operators or are they only looking for contacts with operators at other FD events?

Thx!

You do not have to be a member of ARRL to participate in your local club field day. If you are at home, you can respond to any field day CQ with your call and 1D (delta) using commercial power to run your home station.

www.arrl.org/files/file/Field-Day/2014/2014 Rules.pdf

Good Luck and have fun! Phil, WF6L

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Or 1E if you are operating at home using emergency power (battery, solar, wind, generator, fuel cell, nuclear fission, etc.) to power your radios.

Remember that in Field Day, a contact is a contact. There are no multipliers for class of the station you contact, so a contact with a 1D or 1E station is just as valuable as a contact with a 20A station.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Thx!

Get on the air and have fun. If you run Class D (home, commercial power) then you don't work other D stations -- Well, you wouldn't get points for doing so and many other Class D stations wouldn't want to take the time out to work you.

For all other classes that you might be able to work such as portable, or mobile, or Class E (home, emergency power), then you can work any other class for points and any of those stations would be glad to work you.

For your benefit as well as others reading this, if you were to choose to operate Class E (home, emergency power), batteries must not be charged from commercial mains. Of course, it's an honor system and I'm betting 75%+ of the people who operate class E are lying/cheating. In fact, I'd bet most Class E entries actually operate off of AC and simply claim Class E so that they can work everyone. Hams aren't immune to that kind of behavior, unfortunately.

Mike

wbswetnam

For your benefit as well as others reading this, if you were to choose to operate Class E (home, emergency power), batteries must not be charged from commercial mains. Of course, it's an honor system and I'm betting 75%+ of the people who operate class E are lying/cheating. In fact, I'd bet most Class E entries actually operate off of AC and simply claim Class E so that they can work everyone. Hams aren't immune to that kind of behavior, unfortunately.

Mike

If folks can't do something honestly then where is the pride in having done it at all? If someone gets an award on the wall, but got it through cheating, then what is its value?

I don't have emergency equipment (yet). I'll be a Class D, so be it.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If folks can't do something honestly then where is the pride in having done it at all? If someone gets an award on the wall, but got it through cheating, then what is its value?

I'm with you, but I guess not everyone was raised that way :)

I don't have emergency equipment (yet). I'll be a Class D, so be it.[/QUOTE]

I'll be class D as well. If you hear me [AA8IA] on the air during Field Day, give me a yell. I don't care if I get points or not. I answer anyone!

Mike

wbswetnam

I'm with you, but I guess not everyone was raised that way :)

I don't have emergency equipment (yet). I'll be a Class D, so be it.

I'll be class D as well. If you hear me [AA8IA] on the air during Field Day, give me a yell. I don't care if I get points or not. I answer anyone!

Mike[/QUOTE]

I'll probably hang out on 20m, PSK31 and SSB both. I'll be listening fer ya.... 73s KF5YOF

W3DMV

That's the last time I try looking up Vulture Gulch on Google Maps. Thought
the darn thing was gonna blow a fuse !
Remember most of us started out with little or nothing and didn't have a clue
how things like field day worked. Jump in and have some fun. The big problem
is becoming an addicted "contester"
I'm an old timer now and for the past several years have been trying to crack
the top mobile (1C) score. Probably not, but lots of fun.
I think your in the Batesville area. If you have time, you might try a visit to a
local club field day site.. It's a great way to see first hand some of the equipment,
how antennas are constructed, and meet other radio ops.
If you don't know of a club, try these guys:
KD5AYE Batesville Amateur Radio Club. They have a nice web site with
telephone contacts.
73 and have fun......

wbswetnam

That's the last time I try looking up Vulture Gulch on Google Maps. Thought
the darn thing was gonna blow a fuse !
Remember most of us started out with little or nothing and didn't have a clue
how things like field day worked. Jump in and have some fun. The big problem
is becoming an addicted "contester"
I'm an old timer now and for the past several years have been trying to crack
the top mobile (1C) score. Probably not, but lots of fun.
I think your in the Batesville area. If you have time, you might try a visit to a
local club field day site.. It's a great way to see first hand some of the equipment,
how antennas are constructed, and meet other radio ops.
If you don't know of a club, try these guys:
KD5AYE Batesville Amateur Radio Club. They have a nice web site with
telephone contacts.
73 and have fun......

LOL Vulture Gultch is simply a figment of my imagination... and that's not viewable on Google Maps.

Yes I already belong to the Batesville Area Radio Club. I tried making a query yesterday about FD activities on the club's 2m repeater but it was down (again).

pjtnascar

Go to Walmart and get a deep cycle battery, or pull the battery out of your car. I will be running off my back up batteries, but I doubt I'll do much talking on FD. Too much going on with the family to really jump into it, but I may visit one of the local club's set ups. At the very least, the HF rig will be out on the patio.

Status
Not open for further replies.