Newbie questions about Oakland County Smartnet vs CLEMIS Open Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

chas3

I am a casual scanner user with a Uniden BCD-396T. A year or two ago I programmed the Oakland County Type II Smartnet system into my scanner. Now I see mention in the database of the "Open Sky CLEMIS system.

Is this new system a "scan-able" system and if so is there anything different that I need to know about it? I thought I remember someone saying that this new Open Sky system was not scan-able/ listenable.

Thanks is advance and please forgive my novice level.

Chas

RayAir

I am a casual scanner user with a Uniden BCD-396T. A year or two ago I programmed the Oakland County Type II Smartnet system into my scanner. Now I see mention in the database of the "Open Sky CLEMIS system.

Is this new system a "scan-able" system and if so is there anything different that I need to know about it? I thought I remember someone saying that this new Open Sky system was not scan-able/ listenable.

Thanks is advance and please forgive my novice level.

Chas

You're completely S.O.L as far as listening to this system.

As far as updates it sounds like Waterford FD may be doing some testing on Open Sky again and patching to VHF. All units except dispatch now have a distinct nasally sound and a noticeable echo.

freqs

No you can not scan OPEN - SKY at all no Scanner made at this time .( most people say never ).
I have noticed that most Sheriff Talk Groups on the the old Motorola system have gone quiet as well .
Rochester Hills ( at one time called Avon Twp) that is patroled by Oakland Co Sheriff has been quiet so they may have moved on to Open - Sky .A few Talk Groups I found to be active.

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Michigan builds a nice statewide P25 System. Then to be "different" a county goes off and builds an elaborate non compatiable system that no one but themselves can listen to. They do this at their own expense.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Joining MPSCS is at their own expense too, and it's not to be different. It's so that the state doesn't set your rules.

Right now - if you are an agency and need to buy a new radio for MPSCS - you cannot. As in - you are out of luck. MPSCS said they expect to be able to add new radios to the system in early 2011. That's if the legislature approves a multi-million dollar upgrade contract.

chas3

Thank you folks for the replies. I was afraid that was the answer, but when I saw the freq's listed here in the database for the open sky system I thought I would inquire.

Chas

RayAir

No you can not scan OPEN - SKY at all no Scanner made at this time .( most people say never ).
I have noticed that most Sheriff Talk Groups on the the old Motorola system have gone quiet as well .
Rochester Hills ( at one time called Avon Twp) that is patroled by Oakland Co Sheriff has been quiet so they may have moved on to Open - Sky .A few Talk Groups I found to be active.

All sheriff's TG's are still on the Motorola system (16,80,112), I noticed 144 was active a few weeks ago, but seems to have went to O/S. 144 was Rochester Hills. Not sure if that is patrolled by OCSD or if that's Rochester Hills PD?

As far as the sheriff going to O/S, I was told some East cars have the radios in their vehicles (guessing Rochester area). I have a friend who patrols in a township on "west" (TG 112) and they do not have O/S radios at all (yet).

Last edited:

freqs

All sheriff's TG's are still on the Motorola system (16,80,112), I noticed 144 was active a few weeks ago, but seems to have went to O/S. 144 was Rochester Hills. Not sure if that is patrolled by OCSD or if that's Rochester Hills PD?

As far as the sheriff going to O/S, I was told some East cars have the radios in their vehicles (guessing Rochester area). I have a friend who patrols in a township on "west" (TG 112) and they do not have O/S radios at all (yet).
The city of Rochester has their own Police but Rochester Hill's Oakland Co Sheriff does Law inforcement has been that way as long as I remember
they patroled it back to the 60's .And was on 144 talk group but seems to have gone quiet .I grew up in the Rochester Hills - Shelby Twp area and have family on both sides still and enjoy listening to OCSD .
Now has the Animal Control moved over as of yet? I have a relative that is a officer with them I dont see him much to ask him if they got new radios .

RayAir

The city of Rochester has their own Police but Rochester Hill's Oakland Co Sheriff does Law inforcement has been that way as long as I remember
they patroled it back to the 60's .And was on 144 talk group but seems to have gone quiet .I grew up in the Rochester Hills - Shelby Twp area and have family on both sides still and enjoy listening to OCSD .
Now has the Animal Control moved over as of yet? I have a relative that is a officer with them I dont see him much to ask him if they got new radios .

No, 6416 (animal control) is still on the Motorola system.
Other TG's still active on analog TRS:
11536- Wixom PD
6480- Children's village
All hopsital TG's
All sheriff TG's except 144
1104- MSP patch I think
1328- ?says surveillance, but they don't use it for that.
272- corrections
10000- FAT
1168- complex
208-FAT
1072- LEIN
* i might have missed a couple, but these were recent.

RayAir

OCTRS TG 80 (East Dispatch) is possibly being patched. Also when they say "go to East TAC", that is on the Open Sky system.

radioron231

Yes, they are patched to Opensky and the East Tac is a talk group on the Opensky system. Currently all main sheriff talk groups are patched to Opensky during the transition period.

codeblue50

Premium Subscriber
I Hope The News Agencies Can Monitor Them.......What Ever Happened To Us Civilians Who Enjoy The Hobby And Also Are The Eyes And Ears, of their Community, No Place For Politics....Shame On Oakland County

freqs

I Hope The News Agencies Can Monitor Them.......What Ever Happened To Us Civilians Who Enjoy The Hobby And Also Are The Eyes And Ears, of their Community, No Place For Politics....Shame On Oakland County
As of yet there are no scanners made to pickup Open-Sky so I bet the Media has no way to monitor it

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber

The media has tried to get access to monitor the system but so far have not been successful.

N

N_Jay

As of yet there are no scanners made to pickup Open-Sky so I bet the Media has no way to monitor it

Many agencies on systems that are, or have been, unmonitorable in the past, provide the media with a source for equipment.

freqs

Not start a fight this is just a question why would Police give equipment to media when they cost so much and what are they giving them radios or monitors ? .with Police cutting bugets all over how can they just give radios to media .Do we know any Detroit media that has Open Sky radios or equipment gave or sold to them?

mikey60

Not start a fight this is just a question why would Police give equipment to media when they cost so much and what are they giving them radios or monitors ? .with Police cutting bugets all over how can they just give radios to media .Do we know any Detroit media that has Open Sky radios or equipment gave or sold to them?

Typically the media will purchase the radio themselves, and then the agency will program it in receive only mode, and only for the talkgroups they want the media to be able to hear.

The issue with the OpenSky system, is that from what I've read, allowing a radio to "Scan" the system will use up too many resources, so it's not allowed by policy on the Oakland County system.

Mike

freqs

Ok I would bet those radios would have a big price ? but media has got $$$ to spend on them .
we can hope one day we john Q public will see a day that they make a radio for the general public .
I will miss being able to monitor Oakland Co I grew up listening to OCSD even back to the old days on 155.7300 .............Thanx Mikey60 that cleared up some Q & A's I had

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I helped our TV station become the first media outlet to monitor MPSCS back in the day. A -lot- of hoops to jump through, and we had to pay for everything, but we did so. I assume if the media outlets REALLY wanted to be able to hear, they would pull the right strings to do so. I have little doubt that the courts would order it. There's no way that the administration could say having 5 more radios on the system would use up too many resources.

N

N_Jay

There's no way that the administration could say having 5 more radios on the system would use up too many resources.
Five radios scanning far-flung talk-groups from a site that does not normally have any of that traffic will tie up 5 channels at one site.

THAT is a lot of resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.