Newbie questions about Oakland County Smartnet vs CLEMIS Open Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Well, you had better call APCO and get a speaker slot for the Houston conference, because there are lots of agencies that need your wisdom.

I'll see what I can do - thanks for the suggestion. My suggestion to you is that you become a little more familiar with emergency response before trying to "contribute" to a thread about it...

Anyone that can say "There is no need to a police department to be able to monitor their county sheriff's dispatches" doesn't have a clue about public safety response.

N

N_Jay

I'll see what I can do - thanks for the suggestion.
Should be a good session.
My suggestion to you is that you become a little more familiar with emergency response before trying to "contribute" to a thread about it...
Are you sure?
Anyone that can say "There is no need to a police department to be able to monitor their county sheriff's dispatches" doesn't have a clue about public safety response.
But, I didn't say that.
There are lots of ways to provide cross system communications, and policies and procedures that should be in place to make sure people in the field have the information they need.

To say an agency is "not smart" just because THEIR system does not operate the way YOU think it should is arrogant, verging on "not smart".

RayAir

All multi-site "steered" or cell-like systems have this issue.

Sorry, wishing for county-wide or state-wide simulcast just to make it easy to scan is a step backwards.

Well it doesn't really matter to me. It's a step backwards for most agencies who have to operate on the system as they can no longer scan adjacent departments to get a heads-up, etc as many used to do_Oh well, their loss.

RayAir

I'll see what I can do - thanks for the suggestion. My suggestion to you is that you become a little more familiar with emergency response before trying to "contribute" to a thread about it...

You forgot who you're dealing with rdale. He already thinks he knows everything. He is an all-knowing God. Just ask him. He comes on these threads not to contribute anything, but to argue, agitate, and abominate productive discussions. Just look up his posts in the advanced search function and you'll see what I just stated. A thread will be going well and along he will come telling everyone that they are wrong and he is the only one who is right. It happens 99.9% of the time.

N

N_Jay

You forgot who you're dealing with rdale. He already thinks he knows everything. He is an all-knowing God. Just ask him. He comes on these threads not to contribute anything, but to argue, agitate, and abominate productive discussions. Just look up his posts in the advanced search function and you'll see what I just stated. A thread will be going well and along he will come telling everyone that they are wrong and he is the only one who is right. It happens 99.9% of the time.

Hey Ray?

Lets not start measuring content in the threads, because you may just lose that battle again, like you did last time. http://forums.radioreference.com/wi...ee-fire-department-opensky-2.html#post1263651
At least in this thread you have been adding most real content. (You feeling OK?)

RayAir

Has anyone been monitoring O/S patches lately? The Waterford FD is sometimes unintelligible on their VHF frequency. They are using O/S and it's being patched to analog. Some messages sound good and then the next one will sound like the person you're listening to is underwater (real nasally with an echo and sometimes garbled). Dispatch will ask them to repeat and sometimes the calls don't get through to dispatch yet I can hear them and other apparatuses can hear them? What's the reason for the extreme variance in message quality?

What's going on? Anyone on the inside got an info?

Not sure if this is the right forum. But can anyone tell If I can monitor Wayne County if I live in Macomb County. My area is Chesterfield Michigan 23 Mile and Gratiot area. I have a pro 106. Specifically I was wondering if I could monitor Detroit Police.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Probably not, but the best way to find out is to try. Program the Detroit tower into your radio, and if you hear it then you can hear it. If not, then you'll need to change locations or antennas.

Thanks. i will try that. Believe it or not I have been programming my pro 106 by hand. I can't quite afford the cable and software just yet. But I somehow figured it out for now.

mkoronka

Believe it or not about the only thing I know how to preform on the 106/197 is to turn them on! Everything else I do is through the computer then to the scanner. I got to give you a lot of credit for programming it by hand. When you do get a program for your computer you will end up asking yourself how did you ever do all by hand.

freqs

I have never used a computer to program my 106 I like doing it by hand .
I have done computer programming on my 2067 and my 95 but I am old school and enjoy playing with the radio

RayAir

OCSD has begun transitioning to O/S starting with east patrol. TGID 80 appears to be the latest OCSD TG to disappear. I have been advised by a deputy assigned to north patrol that they don't have the radios yet. West and north patrol are still on the analog system. There also appears to have been no patching yet with these channels. O/S patching was evident on TGID 80 by the warbling audio, but the patch seems to be gone now.

chopperdawg

Luckily, as of today, Brandon Twsp. ( 16 ) is still up. Not sure when, or if they plan on going to Open Sky. Gonna be a sad day when they do.

To my surprise I do pickup Detroit Police on my pro 106 from Macomb County. I dont always hear them though probably because of my location. The state patrol I pick them up every where. I really enjoy this. This has been a great investment for me.

dieselguy8599

Premium Subscriber
OCSD has begun transitioning to O/S starting with east patrol. TGID 80 appears to be the latest OCSD TG to disappear. I have been advised by a deputy assigned to north patrol that they don't have the radios yet. West and north patrol are still on the analog system. There also appears to have been no patching yet with these channels. O/S patching was evident on TGID 80 by the warbling audio, but the patch seems to be gone now.

Ray - All of the Talk Groups will be patched from Open Sky to the Old 800 system until all of the Preps and mobile radios are switched out. I know Addison, Oakland, Orion, and Rochester Hills all have the new M/A Comm Preps. The county radio shop has just started preparing the mobiles for install. It's probably going to be another six months before all of the radios are converted to M/A comm radios so we should still able to scan the Sheriff till then. I'll keep my ears open and post when I have any other info.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
What does it look like for the northern county fire departments, Springfield, Independence, Groveland, North Oakland, White Late etc?

:confused:

Thanks,

dieselguy8599

Premium Subscriber
Springfield, and North Oakland are simulcasted over their VHF frequency because their pagers won't work with Open Sky. You should be able to still hear them. You should also be able to hear Groveland / Holly because they haven't made the switch yet. Same with White Lake.

RayAir

Ray - All of the Talk Groups will be patched from Open Sky to the Old 800 system until all of the Preps and mobile radios are switched out. I know Addison, Oakland, Orion, and Rochester Hills all have the new M/A Comm Preps. The county radio shop has just started preparing the mobiles for install. It's probably going to be another six months before all of the radios are converted to M/A comm radios so we should still able to scan the Sheriff till then. I'll keep my ears open and post when I have any other info.

They stopped patching East Patrol (TGID 80) last week. I haven't seen 144 (Hills Patrol) pop up in over a month. It disappeared for a while, came back, and now its been gone for a while. They aren't patching 112, or 16 yet. You can tell when they are patching. It sounds like someone under water trying to talk to you. The patch audio is so bad at times, that it is unreadable. If you want to hear an Open Sky patch tune to 154.385. Waterford FD is patching from O/S again.I think they have been using O/S as "channel 2" as they call it. WTFD used O/S in late 2009, patched, then went 100% O/S, then went completely back to VHF. Well now they have been patching for the last several weeks. So it looks like WTFD is giving O/S another try. Thanks for the update. Let us know if ya hear anything new.

Last edited:

RayAir

Oakland County Sheriff West Patrol and Wixom Police Department are now patching and should be completely on Open Sky soon.

Some deputies assigned to East Patrol apparently aren't too fond of their new "top-of-the-line radios that they can see, but not always hear" (according to one deputy).

OCSD North Patrol does not have Open Sky radios installed yet, but I expect they will within a month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.