Newbie Questions Re: SDS-100 & HomePatrol II

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
1. I understand I need a USB-C (or USB-A) to Mini USB Cable to connect the SDS-100 and HomePatrol II to the laptop and power. So far, any cables I've purchased through Amazon do NOT work with either scanner for "Mass Storage" but do allow for charging. Yeah, I can just buy another scanner cable from Zip Scanners, but sometimes I don't roll that way... you know, the easy way.

2. What's happening when you just turn the Vol/Sq knob on the SDS-100? Is it just changing the direction that the scanner is, well, scanning?

I am having a heckuva time trying to decide which scanner to return and which one to keep. Yeah, I know. Keep them both, right? Well, I don't need two so are there any suggestions of things to consider when making my decision? I believe the SDS-100 to be a "better" scanner in terms of potential features, but right now, they pretty much do the same thing until I get into my scanning education further.

Thx in advance.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I am having a heckuva time trying to decide which scanner to return and which one to keep. Yeah, I know. Keep them both, right? Well, I don't need two so are there any suggestions of things to consider when making my decision?
Well for one thing if any of the trunked radio systems you listen to contain simulcast cells (not a factor for Cheyenne as long as they stay on this Phase-I system with single-cell sites), this is a major determining factor since the SDS100 (& its base model counterpart, the SDS200) were designed to mitigate the detrimental effects of simulcast distortion...

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
1. I understand I need a USB-C (or USB-A) to Mini USB Cable to connect the SDS-100 and HomePatrol II to the laptop and power. So far, any cables I've purchased through Amazon do NOT work with either scanner for "Mass Storage" but do allow for charging. Yeah, I can just buy another scanner cable from Zip Scanners, but sometimes I don't roll that way... you know, the easy way.

2. What's happening when you just turn the Vol/Sq knob on the SDS-100? Is it just changing the direction that the scanner is, well, scanning?

I am having a heckuva time trying to decide which scanner to return and which one to keep. Yeah, I know. Keep them both, right? Well, I don't need two so are there any suggestions of things to consider when making my decision? I believe the SDS-100 to be a "better" scanner in terms of potential features, but right now, they pretty much do the same thing until I get into my scanning education further.

Thx in advance.

Keep the SDS100 - it by far the better radio - especially w/ simulcast

1. The programming port on the SDS100 is the lower one. (marked charge). Most any USB (data) cable that fits that port will work, however to charge while on, you need a cable that has AWG24 wires in it, or you will get the low voltage error.

2. If you are connecting to this port and it does not go into mass storage mode, check everything, you have done something wrong somewhere... Use a different port on the computer first. I seriously doubt it is the cable, other than AWG24, there is nothing special about them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L18RZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1380E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't the SDS100 come with a USB to scanner cable for programming? I know my SDS200 did. Maybe I read OP's question wrong.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Doesn't the SDS100 come with a USB to scanner cable for programming? I know my SDS200 did. Maybe I read OP's question wrong.
-
Yes, if the OP purchased the HP2 and the SDS100 new, from a reputable dealer, they both came with the proper USB cable included.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you are simply turning the scroll knob, then the change of scan direction is the only thing that happens.

But, if you want to change the Volume, first press down on the knob. You'll see a graph at the bottom of the display for the volume level. Turning the knob after first depressing it is the key to volume level changes. As long as the Volume graph is present on the display, turning the knob will adjust the volume whichever way you want. If you wait too long before turning the knob, the volume graph will time out and disappear; you would then have to start over, by pressing down on the knob before you can change volume levels.

Or, if you want to adjust the squelch, first press the Function key (the top button on the left side of the scanner). You'll see a small F in the upper left corner of the display, showing that Function has been engaged. While still in Function mode, press down on the scroll knob while the F is still displayed. You'll then see a graph at the bottom of the display showing the Squelch level. With the graph active on the display, turning the knob will let you change the squelch setting. Just like accessing the volume settings, the Squelch settings access will time out if you delay to long to start making your changes.

I would agree with the other comments above, While the HP-2 is a capable scanner (I have one as well), the SDS100 allows far more options than the HP-2. And, while you may not have simulcast issues at your present location, as Whiskey3 noted above, that could change if your home area system is upgraded. If you travel, with your scanner, to or through just about any metro area (as well as some more rural), at some point along the way it's virtually guaranteed that Simulcast systems will be encountered.

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
Thank you much for the replies. I'm definitely leaning towards to SDS-100.

Cable - The ONLY thing I can think of is that I purchased USC-C to USB Mini B cables because my Dell XPS 17 9700 only has the USB-C ports and not the older USB-A ports. Currently, I use an adapter to get the provided cable(s) to connect to the laptop. I was hoping to find a USB-C to USB Mini B cable to eliminate using an adapter. Okay, it's not a biggie but it's kind of how I roll sometimes. I was able to find a longer USB-A to USB Mini B cable today, probably from one of my Canon DSLRs and it worked, so I believe the issue is with the USB-C part of the cables. Live and learn I guess.

Vol/SQ knob - Yep, I figured but thanks for the instruction. Now, I need to start learning more in depth about frequencies, trunked systems and all the other stuff you all mentioned about this bad boy. How fun to have a new toy!

tvengr

Well Known Member
So far, any cables I've purchased through Amazon do NOT work with either scanner for "Mass Storage" but do allow for charging.
Which cable did you purchase? Some USB cables are for charging only and do not include wires for data. If you are using a charge only cable, scanners will not be able to go into USB mass storage. I use adapters with my XPS computer and have no problems.

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
Which cable did you purchase? Some USB cables are for charging only and do not include wires for data. If you are using a charge only cable, scanners will not be able to go into USB mass storage. I use adapters with my XPS computer and have no problems.

I was able to return the cables. They were supposedly data cables, but I don't know. I can use the adapters, no problem. I was looking for a data cable that would work with a USB-C end.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I know using adapters can be a pain... But this one works for me... Ain't had any problems with it for data use...
I also use it for USB C ports on my battery power banks and AC USB power adapters with USB C ports as well when I need a C to an A...

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
I know using adapters can be a pain... But this one works for me... Ain't had any problems with it for data use...
I also use it for USB C ports on my battery power banks and AC USB power adapters with USB C ports as well when I need a C to an A...

Thank you!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber

The Dell adaptors work fine.
Your XPS should have come with one....

Dell Adapter: USB-C to USB-A 3.0 | Dell USA

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
My current laptop has two USB-A ports, and one USB-1, with an HDMI for a display.

I have both my SDS100 as well as one of my 436HPs used for logging via ProScan. The wireless mouse and wired external keyboard also need ports, plus I use a card reader for my TRX-1, and at times, setting up replacement mini-SD cards for the Uniden scanners. Obviously, only two ports are not sufficient.

I purchased this adapter to morph the USB-C port into 4 standard USB ports. It works well for what I need.

I also have this hub, which expands one USB port into 4. The 'switches' come in handy for the two scanners normally connected to the PC. I can 'turn off' the port, then turn it back on, which prompts the scanner to ask whether I want to use the serial connection, or go into mass storage mode. Then, after going into mass storage, & completing what I was doing, I can eject the scanner from the pc, then cycle the switch off then back on & choose serial mode. Also comes in handy when, for whatever reason, the scanner loses the serial connection & I need to reset it.