Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkFlap

Hi everyone :) I was given an old Uniden 800XLT and have been able to listen to Newington, Berlin, and Hartford so far and I'm pretty much hooked. I've been looking at the newer scanners, specifically the BCT15 and BCD996.

In Connecticut is there enough digital to justify the extra cost? I don't want to spend twice the money just to listen to CSP but on the other hand I don't want to be kicking myself three months from now for not getting a digital scanner.

Second question. I have been looking through the database and see that West Hartford is a trunked system and the voice is listed as analog but the talk groups appear to be listed as digital? What's up with that?

Thanks for your help.

jb872033

Its motorola type 2 II which i think has a diffrent system... as far as digital, that depends on your comittment you want to give to your scanner, if i had my way i would own a digital scanner....i think during the next round of updates to radio infrastructure in individual towns that a lot of people will be converting to digital, but if you dont get a digital at least make sure your scanner is rebanding friendly, wehtersfield's trunking systems have rebanded, and i see more of that in the future too...so its an individual decision, if you have the means to, go for it!!...good luck!

JB

cg

Premium Subscriber
it is a personal decision. If the one system that you will not do without goes digital, you need digital. If you are not interested enough in the digital systems to spend the money, then it is an easy decision to not get one.
Keep reading the forums and lists and when that threshold is reached for you, then buy one.
West Hartford is 100% analog ... for now. Barring the budget issues preventing it from happening, they are going digital in the next 3 years or so. Capital money has been approved for 2008-09 and 2009-10

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.