Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muya

Premium Subscriber
Newbie question. Yes, I’m one of those that bought a handheld (Yaesu FT-60R) for disaster preparedness.

Is there a place someone can refer me for frequencies to program for this?

If an emergency were to happen, are there frequency’s I’m allowed to broadcast on without a license?

Can i legally use the fmrs frequencies to talk to others?

is anyone still able to test for a technicians license?

Thanks in advance!

N8IAA

Newbie question. Yes, I’m one of those that bought a handheld (Yaesu FT-60R) for disaster preparedness.

What frequencies?

If an emergency were to happen, are there frequency’s I’m allowed to broadcast on without a license?

No.

Not on this radio. It isn't type accepted for FRS/GMRS.

Absolutely. Check in your area for ham radio clubs for classes and testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
You could buy a third party software program such as RT Systems. Otherwise, the factory manual describes the procedure for memory entry.
This is a amateur radio service unit, a license is required to operate the transmitter in any case. Outside of possibly a dire on the spot life-and-death situation, getting caught using the transmitter would likely result in unwanted attention from the FCC.
This radio is designed for the amateur radio service and does not transmit on FMRS frequencies. Any modification that would possibly enable it to transmit on other than amateur frequencies would still not be legal as it is only approved for amateur radio use.
You would need to check the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) website and see if a testing session is available in whatever area you are in. The link to this site is here: Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
And as far as testing is concerned, there is a lot of online testing being accomplished right now. No need to do it in person. Just find someone doing it. W5YI, GLAARG, for example.

Muya

Premium Subscriber
These are very helpful. I just don’t want to get in trouble before I get started. my goal with these is to be able for my family to be able to communicate in an emergency. we’re all getting a license.

on that note, i just don’t want to have to carry a scanner and a handheld. Nothing outside the scope of being able to listen to fire/rescue, emergency frequencies that would be on a typical scanner.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
While that is a very good ham radio, it does not do any digital frequencies or work in the ranges used by most emergency services. Even using it with a license and interfering with emergency communications which are sometimes done on ham frequencies can bring trouble.

Muya

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense. is there a scanner you can recommend that won’t break the bank?

W8WCA

That makes sense. is there a scanner you can recommend that won’t break the bank?
That really depends on what you want to listen to, and where you live.

Look at the database for your location and see what type services are used.

You will not find an 'inexpensive' Trunking Scanner - You can find a fairly inexpensive Analog Scanner

W8WCA

A note on the FT-60R - it does have a wide range as far as Recieve frequencies goes.
Wide Band Reciever Coverage (108-520MHz / 700-999.99MHz)

Not as fast as scanners but it will cover a lot of analog traffic!

You made a good choice on the FT-60R IMHO

Last edited:

K9DWB

QRT
FWIW on the FCC Amateur Technician testing, yes it is still being done. The specific way its done depends on the VEs in your area. It can be done in-person, probably with mask as per your state or local requirements. Example: I took my Technician class license last month with a local Amateur radio club that was listed on ARRLs test site search. I followed the directions of the VE that contacted me via email.

The first things to do is to study for a Technician license test and go to the FCC website and sign up for a FRN. There's websites that sell somewhat inexpensively mock tests that can help in the test prep. Do some research on this. The test may cost a few dollars; mine was $14. The FRN is free from FCC. So my suggestion is to do the FRN request and search ARRL for test sites and get booked to attend. Good luck.

W0AST

Thanks in advance!

1. Google "2 meter amateur radio repeaters" in your area, same thing with 70 cm repeaters. Use a program such as CHIRP to program your radio (the FT-60 was my first one as well). There are a number of YouTube videos that will walk you through the process. It's rather easy once you get exposed to it.

2. Any frequency, as long as it is a true emergency. The trick will be a) getting reception and b) finding a frequency that somebody is listening to. Without the practical experience of using the radio, it will be a very daunting prospect to be familiar with how to use your radio.

3. Yes. No license needed for FMRS radios. GMRS needs a license.

4. Yes. Best thing for all of these questions is to contact your local amateur radio club. Google can lead you to that as well.

Good Luck! The learning curve is steep, for both using the radio and getting the license, but it is well worth the work. I (until COVID happened) routinely volunteered to assist in radio comms for parades and other events that my radio club helps with. A good service opportunity, and helps me to become more accustomed and comfortable using my radios.

Brian
W0AST

Status
Not open for further replies.