Newbie - SLATER - Uniden programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

qubix

I just purchased a Uniden BCD436HP. I have updated the firmware. I've downloaded the Sentinel software and I'm wanting to listen to County Fire on SLATER.

I have added a couple of county fire's into a favorites list. (Central County Fire & Rescue, East Central, County Tactical).

The scanner appears to be scanning sites, but, I never hear anything. It just continues to scan and won't pick anything up.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am in Dogtown (I-64 & Hampton). I can hear MOSWIN - City Fire without issue using the same 'programming' to favorites process I've described above.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the Service Types are enabled for however you setup your Slater favorites list.
I'd also lockout (Avoid) all the Slater sites other than site 1-1 and 1-2 which are the St Louis County north and south sites for now.

Slater in itself can be tricky with a 436 as it has so many simulcast tower locations for the two St Louis county sites.
I'd think you would hear something though with your stated location.

Try turning off your favorites list(s) for the city departments and sites on Moswin and make sure you are not seeing the "nothing to scan" message on the 436 screen when only your Slater favorite is active.

qubix

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, I have modified the Service Types and enabled all. I did lockout a couple of sites. I've disabled MOSWIN (for the City Fire) and now my scanner shows "SLATER" for the system. It's cycling through the 2 StL County - Urban North & Urban South sites, then the channel says "ID Scanning..."

I didn't get a 'nothing to scan' message with SLATER being the only active thing being scanned.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
While the 436 is scanning Slater, press and release the function button on the top left side and then quickly hit the E yes key on the front.
It should change to ID Searching on the display.

See if you hear anything while in ID Search mode.

Also, while it is cycling between the two sites, does the display say DAT somewhere more up near the top?
Any signal strength bars showing?

If you don't see DAT or any signal strength bars, you are not getting a signal which seems weird given your location.
Signal bars with no DAT displayed would mean its not seeing or locking onto the control channel. This could be caused by simulcast issues.

For confirmation, the Urban North site only needs 853.8250 for its control channel and Urban South only needs 853.7875.
Make sure those are both listed for their respective sites and not avoided or anything.

If you are getting a good signal, it's probably just something stupid and simple like one of the quick keys not being enabled or something.
I'd say you are close being as the city fire is working okay! At least that list is working.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Hey qubix I will to review your file for the 436hp to watch what could wrong and fix and return it back you. I will also be glad to add my latest list of Slater UIDs as well.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
You shouldn't have any problems picking up SLATER TG's from Dogtown. I am sure once you figure out the issue with the programming you will hear it fine. Good luck.

stlouisx50

Don't Program the mobile site. I have never had any hits on it. Just Jefferson County, st Charles county and north /south St. Louis County. I'd recommend programming each site as it's separate entry and not using roaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.