Newbie to Maritime trunked radio - looking for a bit of help.

longreacher

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've had a scanner forever, but finally made the leap to follow everyone to the TMR system.

I've got a Whistler WS1065 and programmed it with some of the local fire departments and towers. The audio that I'm getting is quite garbled and cuts in and out. I've tried including more towers, fewer towers, turning the squelch up and down, all to no effect.

Not sure what I've got set wrong. Any thoughts on what I should try? I've attached a but of audio here as an example.

Attachments

• test audio.zip
    116.6 KB · Views: 15

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Ensure you are programming TMR properly as P25 and not FM. You should only need the control channels for the site(s) you can receive for your location and the scanner will do the rest. If you do not have any talkgroups programmed in, programming a wildcard will allow your scanner to receive all talkgroups.

longreacher

Ensure you are programming TMR properly as P25 and not FM. You should only need the control channels for the site(s) you can receive for your location and the scanner will do the rest. If you do not have any talkgroups programmed in, programming a wildcard will allow your scanner to receive all talkgroups.
I’m getting talkgroups, but they’re not clear. I’m seeing posts in other places about simulcast distortion. Should I be chasing that? Am I ever going to get back to the clarity I used to have on my old VHF scanner?

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I’m getting talkgroups, but they’re not clear. I’m seeing posts in other places about simulcast distortion. Should I be chasing that? Am I ever going to get back to the clarity I used to have on my old VHF scanner?

I'm not really sure what would be causing that... Is it just TMR that is broken? Does your scanner receive everything else fine?

Maritime TMR system is not simulcast so there is no way it would be simulcast distortion. I have never heard TMR audio like you provided, even with poor signal. It's always crystal clear.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I’m seeing posts in other places about simulcast distortion. Should I be chasing that?
Can you post the RR database link so we can let you know for sure? Encryption could also be a possibility

Am I ever going to get back to the clarity I used to have on my old VHF scanner?
Today's scanners are much different animals than the analog scanners of yester year

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Your programming may be fine but it could be reception issues.

What antenna are you using? The one that came with the scanner or a rooftop?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are in Long Reach, NB

2 (2)101 (65)Otty GlenKings, NB770.60625c770.85625c771.10625771.35625771.60625

is probably the best one to receive.

Here is a map of other tower locations. Zoom in to see others: Maritime Public Safety Radio Network (MPSRN) Trunking System, Provincewide, Multi-State It'll take a few clicks to find Long Reach. Unfortunately, no others seem close by so a rooftop antenna is a must for further/better reception.

longreacher

Not aware of any simulcast in the Maritimes. Roughly where are you in NB?
South, near Rothesay .

I'm not really sure what would be causing that... Is it just TMR that is broken? Does your scanner receive everything else fine?

Maritime TMR system is not simulcast so there is no way it would be simulcast distortion. I have never heard TMR audio like you provided, even with poor signal. It's always crystal clear.
Weather comes in fine. Haven’t tried much else with it.

Your programming may be fine but it could be reception issues.

What antenna are you using? The one that came with the scanner or a rooftop?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are in Long Reach, NB

2 (2)101 (65)Otty GlenKings, NB770.60625c770.85625c771.10625771.35625771.60625

is probably the best one to receive.

Here is a map of other tower locations. Zoom in to see others: Maritime Public Safety Radio Network (MPSRN) Trunking System, Provincewide, Multi-State It'll take a few clicks to find Long Reach. Unfortunately, no others seem close by so a rooftop antenna is a must for further/better reception.
Yes, it’s Otty Glen that I’m on. I was just using the antenna that came with the scanner. The instructions that came with the scanner said that when I was listening to 700 MHz, I should keep it fully collapsed. Seem legit? I do have a rooftop antenna but do I need to change that for this new higher frequency?

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
If you want to use the inside antenna, keep it at 8" high at least. Move locations inside, like for instance to a window or upstairs if applicable. Not the time of year to do any rooftop stuff.

longreacher

OK, after a lot of testing, moving antennas, swapping antennas, moving the scanner from room to room, etc, I've finally landed on needing a good, permanent antenna on my roof. What do folks recommend for good TMR reception?

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
OK, after a lot of testing, moving antennas, swapping antennas, moving the scanner from room to room, etc, I've finally landed on needing a good, permanent antenna on my roof. What do folks recommend for good TMR reception?
If you're scanning just TMR, any 700/800 MHz will do just fine. If you're scanning a wide range such as VHF, UHF, and 7/800 TMR, an all band antenna would better suit you. I don't have an outdoor antenna so I cannot recommend specific models.