• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Newbie to Unication

Status
Not open for further replies.

elrod

I will be receiving my new G5 tomorrow and also have some questions. Sorry if these have been answered already but after reading all the posts everywhere over the weekend and trying to decide to pull the trigger on the G5 I am a little overwhelmed.

My first question is do I have to wait and have the unit in hand and a serial number or something in order to download the software and try to set up a profile?

My second question is one P25 system I want to program is Starcom21 in Illinois.
For example if I program zone 1 for DuPage County and then knob 1 for pd, knob 2 for fd, knob 3 for sheriff,etc. Then zone 2 for say Will County and k 1 for pd, k 2 for fd, etc. as above am I sort of on the right track as to how this works?

Also I know there are 8 knob positions but how many talk groups can go into each knob position?

Lastly should all freq. be programed for a system. As mentioned for the above DuPage County it has
1 control and 2 alts but a total of 20 freqs.

Sorry for the long post but any info will be helpful to me
Thanks
Chuck

troymail

Silent Key
I will be receiving my new G5 tomorrow and also have some questions. Sorry if these have been answered already but after reading all the posts everywhere over the weekend and trying to decide to pull the trigger on the G5 I am a little overwhelmed.

My first question is do I have to wait and have the unit in hand and a serial number or something in order to download the software and try to set up a profile?
No.
My second question is one P25 system I want to program is Starcom21 in Illinois.
For example if I program zone 1 for DuPage County and then knob 1 for pd, knob 2 for fd, knob 3 for sheriff,etc. Then zone 2 for say Will County and k 1 for pd, k 2 for fd, etc. as above am I sort of on the right track as to how this works?

Also I know there are 8 knob positions but how many talk groups can go into each knob position?
64 talkgroups per knob position (or 16 conventional channels).
Lastly should all freq. be programed for a system. As mentioned for the above DuPage County it has
Depends on how stable the control channel frequencies are - if unknown, program all of the system/site frequencies.

Thanks
Chuck

Jimco

Just make sure that you use the right model number because you can't change it later. After you select a model, it will show you which frequencies that model supports. You want to make sure it matches your model because PPS won't allow you to add frequencies your model doesn't support.

Jim

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Most of your questions can be answered on their website:
Unication USA

As far as zones - you can have any number of profiles on your PC and each profile can handle more zones than you'll ever need. You can only load 1 profile to the radio at any given time. I will note that I have "overwhelmed" the G4 with too much programming in a single profile. It can get ugly when you do this (you may want to throw it against the wall if/when this happens).

I haven't seen issues regarding "time" limit of recordings but I do routinely see the 1000 recording limit hit. When this happens, recordings that you haven't "locked" are overwritten (circular buffer). If you monitor alot of stuff, the overwrites can happen in a matter of hours since each transmission is it's own recording.

The G4 does a great job on Phase 1 simulcast systems in your area - Baltimore City, Baltimore County, CMARC, etc. Of course, it remains to be seen how well the Phase 2 capability (hopefully soon?) will work. Keep in mind that there will be an upgrade charge for the Phase 2 capability when that comes --

Thanks!

I really wanted to get it for BC/BCo.

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks!

I really wanted to get it for BC/BCo.

I can tell you that I was receiving both Baltimore City and County on my G4 from inside my house in Severn with almost no problem (using a RS 800 antenna). You should have even better results from your location.

I could even listen to Harford County on CMARC and Prince George (when in Phase 1 mode) fairly easily as well.

ecarvalho

I believe there is, through a "message " software that comes with the PPS zip file... I can't guide you through it as I never used it but I know it's possible

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
No.

64 talkgroups per knob position (or 16 conventional channels).

Depends on how stable the control channel frequencies are - if unknown, program all of the system/site frequencies.

So if you put 64 talk groups on Knob position 1 and 64 in position 2 have you used up the 128 channel limit?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
32,768 talk groups

Thanks
Chuck

Got the answer regarding maximum talk groups from Dave Oney (817-210-4187) at Unication. So 64 talk groups per 8 zone knob positions is 512. But having 64 systems would make it 32,768. So lots of room. Was not sure if the numbers of LCN's would subtract from that number but he thought it wouldn't.

An interesting software/firmware update coming soon will allow you to use one of the 8 knob positions to scan all talk groups of the system using a wild card. He did say you would receive all including the encrypted talk groups and that is sort of annoying.

I also found out a Unication Canadian dealer here in Alberta in Red Deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.