Newbie trying to figure out simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick6975

I want to buy a new scanner as our Whitewater PD went digital. I can't figure out where or how to tell if I need a model that is intended for simulcast. I hope someone out there can help me. Thanks!

wtp

yes BUT! IT is usually a trunked system and would have 5 or more fequencies.
the county next to me had 6 towers years ago and lets say each had 10 frequencies.
so just that one county used 60 frequencies.
now they still have 6 towers and use 17 to cover the whole county.
the thing about simulcast is that all 6 towers are transmitting the same thing on the same frequency at the same time.
that frees us many frequencies, but, scanners don't handle that all too well.
P25 is digital and 'talks' in 1's and 0's
so if you get 2 signals from 2 towers the radio can 'hear' an echo.
yyoouu ccaann rreeaadd tthhiiss
but a radio hears 16 digitals is the same time as it should hear 8
11011100 is then 1l1l0o1l1l1l0o0o and it goes quiet. it can't make it out.
anyway, it looks like you just need a phase 1 digital scanner.
i have used this site, and many others have.
i bought a 325P2 myself. but my county is going to go to phase 2 soon.

i am also partial to uniden radios and find them easies to program, it is still tough, but doable.

rjschilder

yyoouu ccaann rreeaadd tthhiiss
but a radio hears 16 digitals is the same time as it should hear 8
11011100 is then 1l1l0o1l1l1l0o0o and it goes quiet. it can't make it out.

Just for the record, public safety radios would use LSM (instead of C4FM) to handle the timing differences. In turn, removing any "echoes".

Reactions: wtp

ChrisABQ

Looking at the database, you'll need a bottom line digital scanner like the Whistler or Uniden that handle P25 phase 1 systems. Walworth county has 800 mhz listed so this kind of scanner will handle that and Jefferson is on VHF (if those are of any interest). Any basic digital scanner will receive what you're looking to hear.

rjschilder

Looking at the database, you'll need a bottom line digital scanner like the Whistler or Uniden that handle P25 phase 1 systems. Walworth county has 800 mhz listed so this kind of scanner will handle that and Jefferson is on VHF (if those are of any interest). Any basic digital scanner will receive what you're looking to hear.
you could roll your own with a cheap SDR and Unitrunker as well :) Won't be as portable obviously.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
A basic digital scanner will do this. If you want to listen to Walworth, keep in mind they are upgrading to a phase 2 system and Jefferson is going to a phase 1 conventional system.

Rick6975

A basic digital scanner will do this. If you want to listen to Walworth, keep in mind they are upgrading to a phase 2 system and Jefferson is going to a phase 1 conventional system.
Where did you find out the info on Walworth and Jefferson going digital?

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Where did you find out the info on Walworth and Jefferson going digital?

Harris was recently awarded the contract for Walworth County which is for an $18 million system. Local media is reporting on this as some infrastructure is already being built.

Jefferson will be going digital this year as individual agencies have recently completed purchasing new radios. The new towers have been up for some time... the cutover date they gave us will likely be delayed but that's normal with these projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.