Newbie Uniden BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlampe

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up the Uniden BCD436HP so I can listen in to Local Sherrif, Police, EMS, and Fire. Put in my zipcode - 32043 and it is scanning, but not picking up anything? Is there something additional i need to add to pick my local police and sheriff traffic? Clay County, FL

Here is the info for my local:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I haven't tried using zip code before not sure if that sets up location set range or not. All LEO are ENC so far FR/EMS are in the clear last time I was in that area. Make sure set location location is off also. Depending on location you are in sometimes signal can be good/bad in certain spots in clay county. the x36 has simulcast issues since that system is simulcast. If you are able to load favorite list that is better off doing that instead zip code.

tlampe

Premium Subscriber
I haven't tried using zip code before not sure if that sets up location set range or not. All LEO are ENC so far FR/EMS are in the clear last time I was in that area. Make sure set location location is off also. Depending on location you are in sometimes signal can be good/bad in certain spots in clay county. the x36 has simulcast issues since that system is simulcast. If you are able to load favorite list that is better off doing that instead zip code.
With all LEO being ENC(and I assume that is statewide), than the only think i can listen to in this area is FR/EMS. So I got this for emergencies so I would be able hear what is going on around my neighborhood. Any Suggestions?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
As far as police comms are concerned you are pretty much out of luck. But Fire/EMS look to be in the clear. When you get a chance, stop by the closest volunteer firehouse and ask about what’s possible to hear and what’s not. There’s also the regional forums in RR. Drop a line to the Florida group. You may get someone who already has the agency’s you need programmed.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just picked up the Uniden BCD436HP so I can listen in to Local Sherrif, Police, EMS, and Fire. Put in my zipcode - 32043 and it is scanning, but not picking up anything? Is there something additional i need to add to pick my local police and sheriff traffic? Clay County, FL

Here is the info for my local:
If you just recently got the 436HP, and it was brand new, not previously owned, have you installed Sentinel & updated the database yet? When the scanner is shipped, and/or when Sentinel is first installed, the database is likely to be well out of date, often by several years. It's important to get an update if scanning using the main database, if you are using your location and range. Also, once the database has been updated, then you can use it to append systems to create a Favorites list with what you are most interested in.

Looking at your county's trunked system, it is flagged as Simulcast. Depending on your location, that can possibly be a problem. A map of the sites used can be found here. But looking at the county's database page, it appears that there may also be a number of conventional frequencies in use, in addition to whatever is on the trunked system.

It may well be to advantage to have your thread moved to the Florida forum, when other members in your area might be able to suggest what you may be able to hear. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.
Setting the location in the scanner, whether by zip code or by using your actual latitude & longitude, will not set the range used by the scanner. Location control is based upon the combination of the range set in the scanner, as well as the range, in the database, for the specific system, site, or department. For more details on how location scanning works, see this:
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Also verify that you have the correct Service Types enabled. When shipped, the default public safety service types that are enabled are the ones labeled as Dispatch (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch). Also enable the Tac and Talk types for those (Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc). Those can be set in the Profile Editor in Sentinel, as well as through the keypad on the scanner.

Kaleier1

For me zip code scanning scanned three states around me. It spent so much time scanning that when there was traffic the scanner didn't hear it because it was scanning throusands of frequencies not used in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.