newbie Wallington, New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoguslawNJ

hello.
I am a newbie here and am looking for someone who will help me choose a scanner and explain to me some of my questions. I live in Wallington, New Jersey
My name Boguslaw

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Welcome.

Since you are in Bergen county, probably a Uniden 436 or 536 would be your best choice. The two cover the transmission modes and frequencies the state and counties are shifting to. There are thousands (not really, hundreds) of threads on these newly-released units.

Further, I suggest you read through the regional New Jersey forum threads. You'll find many threads from north Jersey members.

Don't forget about the Wiki for the how-to for almost any question you can think of.

The "search" box atop most (all?) RR pages is your friend. Take the time to browse, explore and read.

HTH.

Last edited:

BoguslawNJ

Thank you for your response but the radios that you recommended are too expensive. I live in Wallington and the Fire Department and Police give off analog. I don't know which model to choose. Can you help me?
BC345CR or BC370CR

Thank you for your response but the radios that you recommended are too expensive. I live in Wallington and the Fire Department and Police give off analog. I don't know which model to choose. Can you help me?
BC345CR or BC370CR
Mieszkasz w jednym z moich ulubionych miejsc, Boguslaw!

Wallington is on "T-Band" and the mutual aid communities around it are on VHF and UHF, and the City of Passaic is on 800. Any programmable scanner that goes from 150-174 and 470-512 will get your foot in the door. Look for 800 if you want to hear Passaic.

Start saving up because the database shows Wallington has a talkgroup on the Bergen County digital trunked system. That might mean sooner or later they might jump on that. I would stop in the firehouse and ask. Wallington FD is a super bunch of guys - I know that first-hand. And, in a few years, depending on the politicians, all of the radio systems might have to change - all that's up in the air right now, but you don't have to worry about that. A basic programmable scanner would work fine to hear analog signals. You can find them on the auction sites with all kinds of features/all kinds of prices. If you find one you like, you can search the archives here on what people think of it, maybe try eham.com for reviews, or just ask.

I never leave Wallington empty-handed or empty-stomached when I come home to visit (I used to live not far from you).

wtp

cost vs fun

having grown up in hillsdale, i always liked to listen to the county.
they are a p-25 system now and many will head there
yes the new ones are expensive, but, if you really get into the hobby it is well spent.
i am still using a rs pro2001 i picked up when it came out (1980?)
and would say i got my monies worth.
if you want an old scanner try ebay, pawn shops, garage sales
i also see a fire tac for wallington on the county system and is digital.
enjoy.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Sorry I can't help with a scanner recommendation as you ask, but I'm not.familiar with the current crop of analogue scanners. i'm not trying to spend your money and I don't have any shares of Uniden, but IMHO the few remaining NJ analogue public safety services are on life support.

You have good suggestions above. Hope they help.

Czesc 902
Czy mówisz po Polsku

Jak moge sie z Toną z kontaktowac?

Just enough to get in trouble :D I have to use a computer to make that, but I lived with a young Polish woman for a few years a long time ago. She learned English and I learned Polish. Moja dziewczyna była dobra z Angielskiego i ja nie tak dobre w języku Polskim. :lol: I had no one to speak with since we broke up and forgot a lot. We spent much of our time in Wallington, especially at the butcher shop (and used to go to Krakus for dinner a lot), so I know you are in a very nice town where people are close.

co myslicie o tym radiu BC370CR
na ebay moge go tanio kupic

The BC370R should pick up the regular Wallington traffic that is not on the county's digital system. This is an analog scanner. You should also pick up Passaic, Carlstadt, Lyndhurst, Rutherford, and the other towns near you. Should last you a while. If they move to the Bergen County radio system you will have to get a digital scanner that can do trunking then.

I don't know if you like to listen to airplane radio traffic, but you should be able to pick up Teterboro tower on the Bearcat BC370CR. Ham radio, too. You should be able to find one for a good price. Keep your eyes open for other kinds, too. Radio Shack sold many scanners that were functionally similar.

Radioreference.com has a Classifieds page, too. Check that out. Many of the same guys who are on the forums selling and buying all things radio.

Next time I come up to visit, I have to look you up and say hello!

Zapraszamy do Radioreference.com!

AC2OY

Hi and welcome Boguslaw,

I'm Michael and I'm right across the Passaic river in Belleville. I'm learning as well as I go here but if I can help feel free to message me. I have a Radio Shack Pro 197 I'm going to sell if your interested. Like a few stated picking a scanner for YOU depends on your budget,what you want to monitor,...ect. You have a few choices these days and Whistler is going to make yet ANOTHER scanner soon?! Good luck have fun!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.