Newbie Wanting To Learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirrel911

Estill Springs/Decherd/Winchester/Franklin County
I am just getting into all this stuff and would like to get my HAM Radio License. How do I go about doing that? I live in Tullahoma Tennessee. I also would like to do SKYWARN if anyone could help out with that to? And one more thing, where can I get a HAM radio? Thank YOu all for the help.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Hi Squirrell, I'm just getting started too. Try looking at the "arrl.com" website for a club in your area. They will usually provide information as to testing procedures and such. That's where I located where I am going to taky my Technician's class test in April, hopefully! That's a great starting place. There is more info there than you can possibly imagin! Best wishes and, as the other hams say, 73's

Ref-Jazzy

You can buy all the Ham radios you want with out a LIC, you just can't TX. You can get radios at several different websites, radio shack, ebay, CL, Frys, etc etc.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
You can purchase amateur radios at a lot of places: AES (the one I use) HRO, Gigaparts and as others have mentioned ebay.

Believe it or not, it is illegal according to the FCC rules and regulations to use an amateur transceiver to transmit on public safety frequencies. You can listen to local public safety on one as long as you want but if you are a fire/rescue member, better get you a public safety radio.

Hope this helps

73s

Chad

squirrel911

Estill Springs/Decherd/Winchester/Franklin County
Believe it or not, it is illegal according to the FCC rules and regulations to use an amateur transceiver to transmit on public safety frequencies. You can listen to local public safety on one as long as you want but if you are a fire/rescue member, better get you a public safety radio.

I have three different public service radios i was just wondering so i could copmbine them all into one.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Only if you use a commercial radio and NOT a ham rig.
n9zas

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Well because I know the stuff commercial radios can do and HAM ones can do allot more

Most of that "allot more" is fluff.

Press the button, talk. Release the button, listen. Change channels. Change Volume. That's really what you need. Things like the scan function in amateur rigs are mostly obnoxious how they operate.

If you really NEED one radio for several different services, a commercial radio is the proper way to do it. If you really NEED all the fluff that amateur radios pack in, then that's what you buy. No one radio will do it all.

muskie999

Ham versus commercial?

Interesting thread, I thought of going wirth a ham system. I know very little, my main occupation with communications is to be able to field communicate with the Ham operators who I recieve during my storm spotting. There are times I need to give instant info, and would rather not tie up 911, and siometimes my laptop is not near a signal for e-spotting. That being said, I am very curious about commercial radio and Ham not eactly sure I know the difference. I live in Evansville Wi. I use a pro 164 scanner and a older pro 79 as back-up. most everything so far, here is analog. So any thoughts would be great!

mike_gain

Go to Barnes and Noble or maybe RatShack and get the "Now your Talking" book for getting started in ham radio. Next read the book. Go to a hamfest and look around. You can buy the book there also. After reading the book, "THEN" go to qrz tests online. You really really need to know some of the stuff and have a practical idea about radio basics. DON"T just memorize the test questions online. A Dummies guide for ham radio is also available at B&N. You can test at most hamfests for about $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.