Newbie with 2008 Honda Civic setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dublackact

Im very, very new to the world of radio and scanning...however, always watched my stepfather play around with radios when i was a kid and I was completely fascinated...always wanted a scanner to listen in but never had the money and resources....well my dream came true and this is my first setup...

I have a BCD996XT with a Nil-Jon Super-M Mobile Antenna on a mag mount on the trunk..the RG58 is run through the trunk, under carpet , through console and into the back of the scanner. The CD deck is a Kenwood HD942U radio on top.......sorry no pics of the antenna on back of the car...its seems to pick up a lot of the things from far away and im content...again im very new to this but im having a blast....drove with the antenna on back in excess of 80mph and it was fine

Best Buy insalled it cause I couldnt get anyone that knew how to take the dash apart....they did blow the right front speaker however; they replaced both front speakers for free (they are better than the factory ones). It took a couple of trips back to Best Buy to get the sound right but they did a FANTASTIC job... The technician took an aux wire and ran it from the ext speaker output of the BCD996XT to the aux input on the deck....i just press a button on the deck's remote and turn Zone 2 on and I hear the scanner from the left rear speaker of my car crystal clear....Turning Zone 2 off will turn off the sound of the scanner and it's just a regular radio system.....couldn't be any happier...sorry if the pic is bad...it's my first

Attachments

• 0310002054.jpg
    0310002054.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,257

mr_tunz

If you get the right installer and not some punk kid you can get an install like this.

LOOKS VERY NICE I DO HAVE TO SAY.

dublackact

thanks a lot.....its great...im hooked now....the antenna looks funky and people drive by and stare and wonder whats goin on inside my car, sometimes I care and sometimes I don't....any other antenna that will recieve good thats not taller than 15 inches????

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's a fantastic setup for a newbie. Especially the Nil Jon antenna! Looks nice and clean.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As the guy on Monster Garage used to say... "NIIIIICCCEEE!!!"

Amazing that BB did that sweet an install... Where did you find the NilJon? e-bay?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Try a Phantom Antennex antenna. Low profile style!

TRAB821-18503.jpg

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I'd say that installer from BB needs his hand shook. They did a very nice job. Welcome to the scanning world! Best of luck with scanning.

dublackact

more pics

Here are a couple more pics...one with the antenna and one from a little further away......

Attachments

• 0317000906.jpg
    0317000906.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,684
  • 0317002133.jpg
    0317002133.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,704

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I hate to say it, but nothing says steal my equipment like a 3 pronged antenna. Go low profile, that way people don't know you have anything in your vehicle and will just pass it up.

I hate to say it, but nothing says steal my equipment like a 3 pronged antenna. Go low profile, that way people don't know you have anything in your vehicle and will just pass it up.

yeah man,,
the double din setup looks very clean,,

but i do agree,,alarm that sucker,
bad economy equals desperation,,
all thats needed is opportunity.

irony would be a crook,using Your scanner,to
evade the fuzz whilst they jack Your car..

KM4WLV

I have to concur with B7 on this one. Good lookin install, but I think either the Antennex Phantom or even a black 800 1/4 wave would compliment that vehicle a whole lot better......

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
Try a Phantom Antennex antenna. Low profile style!

TRAB821-18503.jpg

I haven't had good results on a wide variety of frequencies with these antennas. they seem to be tuned for one band or another. Or maybe it was just the one I had. Your antenna is on a mag mount, so just take it off when your in a "high risk" area. Nice setup BTW.

K

kb0nly

Heck go with the Larsen triband antenna, NMO150/450/800, looks like a pretty benign antenna, like u just have a cellular antenna on the back. Good quality and good performance. Not saying the antenna you have isn't good, but its an attention getter....

Nice install though, sure looks like and clean. They did a great job on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.