Newbie with FT-60

Status
Not open for further replies.

boondockdad

Hi

I'm as new as they come, and my wife got me a Yaesu FT-60 for Xmas, and I've spent my vacation reading whatever I can find on the subject.

I have a pair of Motorola 'Talkabout' radios that we use when camping. It would be great to be able to talk, as well as receive, between the three units. The Talkabout frequencies are 462. and 467., which are outside the TX bands on my FT-60.

Is this possible?

Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Yaesu FT-60 is an Amateur Radio transceiver and will only work out of the box within the confines of the 2 meter and 70 centimeter bands. It will not transmit in the FRS and GMRS band.

FRS/GMRS radios are not amateur radios and won't transmit in the amateur band.

The -legal- answer is you cannot transmit outside the amateur radio spectrum with a amateur radio. Specifically, it would be a violation of the FCC rules to do so.

The FT-60 will receive the FRS and GMRS channels just fine.

-disclaimer-
Yes, it is possible to modify an FT-60 to transmit outside the amateur radio band, including on the FRS and GMRS channels your Motorola TalkAbout radios use. It would, technically, be a violation of the FCC rules to do so. FRS and GMRS radios are required by the FCC to have a "type acceptance", specifically FCC Rules section 95, to be legal. Since the Yaesu FT-60 does not have this type certification, it's not legal to do so.
Choosing to modify an amateur radio to transmit outside it's design would technically put you afoul of the FCC rules, void it's warrantee, and is risky if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

I'll leave it at that.

k6cpo

thanks mmckenna!

I found a site by KC8UNJ with software and links to interface cables. It's a start?

That site isn't going to help you much because all it will do will allow you to program the FT-60 on the amateur frequencies.

My suggestion would be to buy another amateur band hand-held, and you and your wife get your amateur radio Technician licenses. It's not that hard. There is a 35 question test you have to pass with a score of 74% or better. Having an amateur license opens up so many more possibilities than GMRS or FRS. You can operate with more power and have many repeaters available, something not available on FRS.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Hi

I'm as new as they come, and my wife got me a Yaesu FT-60 for Xmas, and I've spent my vacation reading whatever I can find on the subject.

I have a pair of Motorola 'Talkabout' radios that we use when camping. It would be great to be able to talk, as well as receive, between the three units. The Talkabout frequencies are 462. and 467., which are outside the TX bands on my FT-60.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Are you and your wife hams? Then get another ham ht. You'll be able to communicate quite well.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.