Newbie with used Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

adauphin

Brief intro, my last scanner was a bearcat twin turbo handheld so this is a quantum leap. I understand the steep learning curve with this pro 106 but with it being a used device, should I completely erase any stored data or should I keep some of the V folders?

Basically I'm in the blind on programming this but I see there are a few vids online, any pointers are much appreciated.

Thanks and I know I will enjoy the 106 as well as being here.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Without knowing the source, and how old the data is, particularly in the V folders, if it was me, I'd wipe the scanner and start from scratch...

This article from our wiki (links are always blue) has all the links you will need to get started, including the link to the Easier to Read manual...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

If someone were to post the URLs of these videos, they could be added to this article

Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106

If the V Folders are the ones each covering a group of states, they are probably the originals and useless for the most part. The 106 does not handle simulcast very well, but it is good in normal P25, both analog and digital. I have one I bought at Dayton the year they were introduced, and I intend to keep it. I still prefer the V Folders to the "quick key" system of the Unidens. If the volume gets scratchy when you turn the control, get some professional tuner cleaner spray to solve the problem. Other than that, mine has had no problems.

adauphin

Ok, I think I will also pick up the 800 MHz antenna and programming cable also at my local RS. Thanks for the advice.

adauphin

Something I have noticed, could be normal but I have 3 groups programmed under P25 and on some transmissions the talk is completely garbled, even with a strong signal....factory antenna or the 800mHz antenna from RS.

Could this be an issue with distance but I wouldn't think so since I'm within 5-10 miles of the antenna.

I did a hard reset and when I programmed the talk systems, I used all the default settings and only entered all the frequencies and I'm using Wildcat to scan all the groups.

So basically P25 Auto, then after I entered all the frequencies, I saved the settings as they are from the factory, do I need to change anything?

Most transmissions are clear, just every now and then it's completely garbled but I have 5 bars on the signal strength. Otherwise everything works fine, just curious if this is normal or a setting that needs to be changed.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
The garble could be encryption. Does it sound similar to what R2D2 sounded like in Star Wars? If it is encrypted then there is nothing you can change to fix that problem. I monitor a system here in TN that is part-time encrypted and that noise drove me crazy.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I second getting rid of the V scanner folders. Depending on how many agencies are in your area, using the programmed can get kinda annoying, and confusing. I just program in the specific channels I want to listen too. When I first started with my Pro-106 this video helped me to learn the basics of programming. The video shows programming without software, but it is helpful to learn what the different setting are, and how to change them on the fly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FVdanCy-pM

Status
Not open for further replies.