Newbie with Vintage Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

notknowing

Hello All

First, I know very little to nothing about radio equipment or electronics, So I was hopping maybe some of you radio enthusiasts could lend a helping hand.

I have an old JIL SX-100 scanner that I acquired with a bunch of estate goods. Not knowing if it worked or not I decided to give it a try, so I rounded up a 12 VDC power supply and it powered up. Next I needed an antenna so I purchased a ST3 scanner antenna from Antennacraft.

I was also able to find a downloadable PDF Operation Manual online to help me with the basics. Now I just need a little technical support to help me figure out how to work the thing. It seems to scan all different frequencies ok, but it don't stop on any of them. I was able to program in the local weather frequency and still nothing.

So I am at a bit of a stand still until someone knowing much more then I do about this, can help me trouble shoot it. Any and all help will be very much appreciated. Thanks

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a back of the set antenna? With an older scanner like that there are any number of reasons it is not receiving anything. My first stop would be to change antennas- a piece of wire connected to the center terminal in the antenna connection should bring in the local weather frequency.

Also check your squelch settings and back it off to just where it starts to scan again. I'm not familiar enough with that model to make other suggestions. Good luck with it

notknowing

Hello Trap5858

It looks like it may have had an antenna that at one time screwed into the top, but not anymore. I was able to slow the scanning speed down but didn't change anything. I will try a small piece of wire and see if that changes anything?

Here is a link with a pic of the old thing. RadioPics Database - JIL SX-100

Thanks again for your help.

SplitPhoton

Im new to this hobby as well, the first thing I added to my favorites was an antenna calculator. Though for scanning I guess you want a wider range, but if a specific freq is your goal you can try this : Amateur Vertical Antenna Calculator

You could try as suggested above with a long section of wire and experiment with different lengths. My desktop scanner doesnt have an ant, rather a threaded fitting on the connector.. Works well with a long wire..

Good luck!

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
For receiving antenna length is not as critical as it is for transmitting. Any length initially should tell him if the scanner is receiving a signal.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Hello All

First, I know very little to nothing about radio equipment or electronics, So I was hopping maybe some of you radio enthusiasts could lend a helping hand.

I have an old JIL SX-100 scanner that I acquired with a bunch of estate goods. Not knowing if it worked or not I decided to give it a try, so I rounded up a 12 VDC power supply and it powered up. Next I needed an antenna so I purchased a ST3 scanner antenna from Antennacraft.

I was also able to find a downloadable PDF Operation Manual online to help me with the basics. Now I just need a little technical support to help me figure out how to work the thing. It seems to scan all different frequencies ok, but it don't stop on any of them. I was able to program in the local weather frequency and still nothing.

So I am at a bit of a stand still until someone knowing much more then I do about this, can help me trouble shoot it. Any and all help will be very much appreciated. Thanks

I recommend you get a simpler and more modern scanner for your first scanner. Look at the Uniden BC125AT.

Then, later on you can come back and mess with that old box.

SplitPhoton

For receiving antenna length is not as critical as it is for transmitting. Any length initially should tell him if the scanner is receiving a signal.

Does this mean that a longer ant wire would be better than a carefully measured one? Or does the correct length out perform?

Im playing around with an ar-2002 which has a connector then a threaded fitting where I can attach any length of wire. Though if a super long wire running outside the house will bring stronger signal, ill toss the small ant im currently using.

Status
Not open for further replies.