Newbie, would like info on BCD996XT as well as other scanner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

carsonhowe22

Hey guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to scanners, but I would like to put a Uniden BCD996XT in my truck and just need some info so that I know what to do.

I have a 2004 Silverado and plan on putting the scanner in a single-din space where a stereo would normally go. Since I'm putting it there, would I need the remote head unit? And would it be better if I bought a gps unit?

Also since I'm going to have it in my truck, what kind of antenna do I need to purchase, and what would I have to do to tune it? I've heard the Austin Spectra is good, but I want to ask someone with knowledge/experience what I should get. I already have a CB radio, so I know a little bit about the installation, but I didn't know if it would be different with a scanner or not. I know that digital scanners have a wide range of frequencies that they can listen to, but I will only want to be listening to Police/Fire in my area. I live in Bowling Green, KY and would like to listen to Bowling Green Police Dept (city), Warren County Sheriff Dept (county), and Kentucky State Police. With those frequencies in mind, what would be the best antenna that I could get to mount to my truck? It would most likely be mounted on the bed rail, next to the cab if that makes a difference.

Lastly, where and how could I tune the scanner to listen to the frequencies that I want to listen to? I don't need all 25,000 channels, I just need a digital scanner that will let me listen to the stations I listed above while in my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.