Status
Not open for further replies.

marshaynes

Premium Subscriber
i don't own a scanner, but would like to purchase. what is the best digital scanner scanner that a relatively uninformed person could program ?

celsasser

Premium Subscriber
Hp-1

My opinion is that the Home Patrol-1 is the easiest of all the Unidens to program and use. Sentinel software (on PC) takes care of loading the latest firmware and scan info; about the only thing you need to do is tell it your zip code. Navigating on the scanner is fairly straight-forward through the menu.

Once you get familiar with how stuff works, then you can use Sentinel to load up new options, frequencies, etc.

frazpo

Their are three brands of digital scanners. GRE, Radio Shack, and Uniden

I prefer Uniden. Uniden scanners come with the programming cable and the software can be downloaded for free. It is called FreeScan. Its very popular with a lot of users here.

These scanners are programmed with software. So they are all about the same in that aspect. The programming part is easy once you get used to it. The functions for everyday use is where it takes some trial and error. That just takes some time with the manual and learning what functions to use.

I would just read some reviews and old posts on here to decide which one to buy. It comes down to user preference. I'm sure some other users will pipe in shortly and give you some ideas.

And of course I always forget to mention the Home Patrol.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
i don't own a scanner, but would like to purchase. what is the best digital scanner scanner that a relatively uninformed person could program ?

Welcome to RR Marshaynes. :)

Right now, IMO, I'd say the PSR-800. It is an awesome scanner, and the entire RR database is on the included 2GB microSD card. Loading it up with your local frequencies is a snap, and the recording feature on it is awesome. Why I sold mine I'll probably never know.

However, my opinion could change this coming Monday when my Home Patrol 1 arrives. After I fiddle around with it for a few hours, I'll either fall instantly in love with it and sing its praises to everyone, or I'll be pulling my hair out (my guess is I'll be singing its praises LOL).

Currently own a PRO-106 and have owned a BCD396XT. IMO, you really can't go wrong with whatever digital scanner you choose.

Happy scanning with whatever radio you decide to go with.

:)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My suggestion would have to be the pro-106 or pro-197 without a doubt! :cool:

n9zas

Stardogg

Premium Subscriber
From one nOOb to another, welcome to the scanning hobby. If you're looking for a portable, i am extremely pleased w/ my GRE PSR-500. Programming is a breeze too w/ the Win500 interface. I can see myself purchasing a PSR-600 sooner than expected too. . .:)

scanchs

Hp-1

Hi Neighbor!

I'm going to agree with the responses of several other folks and recommend the Uniden Home Patrol (HP-1) as the best digital scanner for a person who is new to the hobby. It is very easy to use with its large color touch screen. It is also quick and simple to update the database using the Sentinel software that comes with the scanner. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the scanning hobby! :)

ScanCHS

N8IAA

It really depends on where in NE GA you are. I just took a ride up to NC. Habersham and Rabun are all conventional frequencies. If you are talking about Forsyth, Hall, Gwinnett, and DeKalb, then you'll need a digital scanner. There are those of us who'll put you on the right track for a scanner. Come on down to the Georgia State forum and ask your questions there:)
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.