Status
Not open for further replies.

307WYO

Hello all in the 307

I'm new to scanners and radio's. I have not purchased a scanner yet, I'm looking for advise on what brand and model to purchase.

I'm in Fremont county, what agencies can I listen to ? or is everything encrypted ?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Brad

wyomingmedic

Howdy Brad,

Everything runs primarily on open talkgroups in Fremont county. All law enforcement have the ability to move to an encrypted channel if they feel they need to, but I have not heard them do this. So far it would be safe to say that 99% of their law traffic is in the clear.

The fire and EMS traffic is all open.

The only other agencies around would be federal law enforcement just driving through (FBI, Marshals, DCI, ETC). Those are almost always completely encrypted, so no need to bother with them.

As for scanners to get, there are plenty of choices. One of my units is a GRE made mobile which has been known to suffer from overload problems on VHF. I also have a few Uniden units which seem to work quite well. Something like a 996XT is a great scanner that can be programmed with the Freescan software quite easily.

WM

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Brad-

Almost everything has gone to Wyolink so just make sure what you but will handle P25. Wyolink currently uses what is often call P25 Phase 1.

Welcome to the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.