Status
Not open for further replies.

twotoejoe

New here. I'm disabled and been a scanner groupie for a long time. I live in a rural area and the agencies in my area upgraded all their radios in the past couple of years yielding all my scanners useless. I'm trying to figure out what new unit I need and how to program it. Thanks all!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
New here. I'm disabled and been a scanner groupie for a long time. I live in a rural area and the agencies in my area upgraded all their radios in the past couple of years yielding all my scanners useless. I'm trying to figure out what new unit I need and how to program it. Thanks all!
Hi twotoe
Welcome to RadioReference.

In order to be sure that you get the correct information and assistance, it's best that you update your location on your profile with City (or county) and state. However, from your post in the Georgia Forum, you indicate that you are in Clarkesville, Habersham County.

Looking at the database page for your county, it appears that the public safety agencies may be using this DMR system, Habersham County Public Safety DMR Trunking System, Clarkesville, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

For the counties in Georgia adjacent to you, White County also indicates a number of agencies using DMR.

In order to receive the agencies using DMR, you would need one of the following scanners:
Whistler WS1080 (P), WS1088 (H), WS1095 (B), WS1098 (B), TRX-1 (H) or TRX-2 (B). The (H) indicates a handheld (portable) model, (B) a base/mobile unit, to be installed in a vehicle, or used at home. For these scanners, Whistler has a DMR update available at no cost. For the TRX-1 & TRX-2, there is also a NXDN update available. While, eventually, railroads will be switching to NXDN, I did not see any systems of that type in your immediate area.

Uniden scanners that will do DMR, after a paid upgrade is installed, include the BCD325P2 (H), BCD996P2 (B), BCD436HP (H), and BCD536HP (B).

There are also comments in the GRE forum about about modifying the discontinued PSR-800to accept the Whistler update to DMR. In the RadioShack forum on doing the DMR upgrade on the Pro-668.

Besides buying one of the listed scanners new, you may also find a good condition, gently used unit, in the classifieds here on RadioReference. Also on eBay, Craig's list, and other online sites, or perhaps at a yard sale or a local pawn shop. Current model new scanners are available from ScannerMaster, The Ham Station, and others, including Amazon. You may want to have your thread moved to the Georgia furum to see if you can get suggestions from someone local, or at least familiar with your area, to see if a specific unit works best. To do that, click on the red outlined triangle in your initial post to "report" the thread and request that it be moved.

twotoejoe

Thanks so much for your prompt reply! Exactly the information I was looking for. I've got a lot more homework to do now as to which unit I actually want to get. I'm sure I'll be back to search for a lot more info on here also. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.