Status
Not open for further replies.

Shae_Clark

Hey guys, I really hope someone can help me. I'm new to this whole scanner world but I'm wanting to get a scanner that I can listen to the individual Wichita Police & Sedgwick County channels. Or possibly something where you can play multiple of those channels at once? I consider myself pretty tech savy, but honestly just starting to look into all of this & exactly what scanner I need is making me pretty overwhelmed.. 😕 Does anyone know of a pretty cheap scanner that will work with those channels? It doesn't need to be preprogrammed at all. I can do that.

Last edited:

K9ZV

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I really hope someone can help me. I'm new to this whole scanner world but I'm wanting to get a scanner that I can listen to the individual Wichita Police & Sedgwick County channels. Or possibly something where you can play multiple of those channels at once? I consider myself pretty tech savy, but honestly just starting to look into all of this & exactly what scanner I need is making me pretty overwhelmed.. 😕 Does anyone know of a pretty cheap scanner that will work with those channels? It doesn't need to be preprogrammed at all. I can do that.
Hello,
I'm a bit of a newbie to the digital scanner scene myself, but I know you should be looking at scanners that are capable of receiving P25 Phase 2 systems. Our Kansas statewide system (KSICS) is either using Phase 2 now, or is preparing to soon. BTW, I'm in Salina.
As for a cheap scanner, probably not. I use the Whistler TRX-1 so that's all I'm familiar with. They can normally be found used for $350-400. Or if you're patient and watch Amazon daily, the price of new ones will drop into that range occasionally. A few months ago I snagged a new one for $353.
Heres a link to help with your search. Good Luck

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I see simulcast on the Sedgwick system
The Uniden SDS 200 is the only scanner that can properly decode simulcast

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I really hope someone can help me. I'm new to this whole scanner world but I'm wanting to get a scanner that I can listen to the individual Wichita Police & Sedgwick County channels.

It appears Wichita is on the Sedwick P25 Phase I system with the rest of Sedgwick county. If you look at the entries you will see a D in the mode column. The absence of the E (fulltime) or e (partial) means encryption is not being used.

State agencies, and Wichita County SO, are on the KSICS system, some of the talkgroups are Phase II, but most are still Phase I.

A list of the scanners that will work on P25 systems can be found in the Wiki link below. While it appears a Phase I scanner will work many systems will be upgraded to Phase II (talkgroup mode will have a T for Phase II use) in the near future and you might want to be prepared and not have to buy a new scanner when the switch is made.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I see simulcast on the Sedgwick system
The Uniden SDS 200 is the only scanner that can properly decode simulcast

That is not true, it depends on your location in regards to towers. My Whistler scanners do great where I live on our simulcast system. The SDS series (100 and 200) are the only scanners designed to work with simulcast systems should that issue be a problem.

The other option to overcome the simulcast issue is using an SDR if being used as a home scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I really hope someone can help me. I'm new to this whole scanner world but I'm wanting to get a scanner that I can listen to the individual Wichita Police & Sedgwick County channels.
The Sedgwick County system is a 10 site simulcast system. Since all of the frequencies are shown as control channels or alternates, it appears to be a Harris system. Most scanners do not like simulcast systems, especially Harris simulcast systems. If a scanner other than the Uniden SDS100 handheld or SDS200 base/mobile will work will depend upon your location. If you are close to one of the towers, you may be in good shape. Even if the scanner works OK at home, you may have problems if you travel to other locations. All of the talkgroups on the Sedgwick County and KSICS statewide system are currently Phase 1. The statewide system is P25 Phase 2 capable, so that could change in the future. The least expensive scanners to try would be the Whistler WS1040 handheld and WS1065 base/mobile which are P25 Phase 1 capable only and are susceptible to simulcast problems. Make sure that whichever scanner you purchase has a good return policy. Unfortunately, the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 are the most expensive scanners, but they are the only ones designed to receive simulcast systems. It would be helpful if someone in your area brought a scanner, other than the SDS100 or SDS200. to your location to see if it would work.
Attach files

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately 'cheap' and 'capable of handling Simulcast' don't go together, with the exception of using a PC and an SDR dongle, as N1GAW mentioned above.

As tvengr mentioned, Sedgwick County is on a simulcast system. Here's a map of the tower sites:
1623781578625.png
See this Wiki page for a more detailed description of the issues with simulcast:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki
The problem is that all of the system's simulcast towers are transmitting the exact same radio traffic, on the same frequency as all the others, at the same time. Your distance from the various towers means that their signals will arrive at your location (and scanner) with just enough variance in time that the scanner cannot properly decode the transmissions.

Simulcast issues are very location specific. If you are very close (say a quarter mile or so) of a tower, the strong signals might drown out the out of sync signals from other locations. Or, you might find that a given scanner will work at a specific spot in your house. Metal siding, insulation in the walls that is foil-backed, neighboring houses, tall buildings, or hills might reduce signal strength from conflicting sites & even a scanner not really designed for simulcast might work. But, if you move the radio to a different part of the house, or take it with you in your car or truck, all bets are off. You may get no reception, or it might be so garbled much of the time that you can't really understand what was being said.

Besides the SDS100 or SDS200 Uniden scanners, which are designed to work in simulcast areas (and aren't cheap), and the SDR dongle/PC method, which can be cheap but not really portable), your other options would include one of the Unication pagers, and the BlueTail receiver. While I do not own either of these, multiple comments from others indicate that these do work effectively when dealing with simulcast problems. The Unication pager is not a true scanner. You are limited to one site in a single system, with a limited number of talkgroups that can be monitored at one time. You can program more than one site, system, and additional talkgroups, but you cannot scan all of them at the same time. While the Blue Tail receiver does not have all the functionality of a scanner such as the SDS series, it can be programmed for more than one system, and is considerably less expensive than an SDS100..

dgruver911

The Sedgwick County system is a 10 site simulcast system. Since all of the frequencies are shown as control channels or alternates, it appears to be a Harris system.

Nope. It is a Cassidian system, which is now owned by Motorola. I've heard the Moto wants them to change out the Tait repeaters for Motorola, but so far that hasn't been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.