Newbieeee needing some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamina

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Please know I am brand new to all of this but am wanting to surprise my mother with a radio where she can listen to police, ambulance and anyother emergency. She's not interested in talking with truckers, etc.. I don't know where or how to begin looking for what I need. My mother lives in Center Point, IA and wants to pick up from there to Cedar Rapids, IA and Benton county. These are all within a 17 mile range. Center Point is 17 miles north of Cedar Rapids. Benton county is just about 10 miles northeast (?) of Center Point. These are only approx.. I don't know how precise I need to be. Can anyone give me some steps to take if needed and/or advice on what type of radio and frequencies needed? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much, Slamina

N0ZJT

Database Admin
If she wants to listen to Cedar Rapids Police, Fire, or EMS she will need a digital capable scanner. These cost over $350.

If she just wants to listen to Linn Co Sheriff, Benton Co Sheriff, and State Patrol, then any cheap scanner will work.

The database has all of the frequencies you would need.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=19

w0fg

Unless she is intent on monitoring the CRPD, I'd recommend this one:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...y=8&x=10&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=family
It's a decent, very inexpensive, desktop scanner that will let her listen on almost all of the activity in Center Point and surrounding rural areas. As was previously noted, the database here has all the frequencies you need for Linn and Benton counties. When I was running my RS store it was the model we sold the most of.

slamina

Do I just click on the >retrieve< link on this database to find the frequencies I would need?
The radio from Radio Shack is really a decent price. Thanks to both of you for more help.!!

Status
Not open for further replies.