Newby locked out already! Help! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

melh

Hello. I am brand new to Scanners and think I am over my head. I have managed to program the numbers in I want but every time I push "scan" it locks out! I have to take the batteries out to unlock it. Can you help me?
Thanks in advance for what ever you say.

* Triple Trunking Handheld Radio Scanner

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
What is the brand and model of scanner you are using? Did you use software to program it? If so, what?

Make sure that you have all the programmed channels unlocked. Most scanners let you lock out individual channels/frequencies.

If your scanner uses "banks", make sure you have at least one bank ON that contains unlocked out frequencies.

Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
We all understand your frustration. You have come to the right place. Your problems will melt away.
If you stay calm and provide required info.
First supply the mfg and model number.
New model scanners are best used with computer software.
The memory and settings are much easier when your using computer software to inteface your scanner.

You are now on the climb of whats known as the learning curve. Relax and go with the flow.

melh

What is the brand and model of scanner you are using? Did you use software to program it? If so, what?

Make sure that you have all the programmed channels unlocked. Most scanners let you lock out individual channels/frequencies.

If your scanner uses "banks", make sure you have at least one bank ON that contains unlocked out frequencies.

Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Hi gmclam! Thank you! That's the thing, I have trunks and banks and I read the book and am still confused. When I followed directions and put in the numbers, I would then click on scan and it would come up " all channels locked out". It is not for a newby I'm afraid. It is a RadioShack Handheld Radio Scanner Triple Trunking Then at the bottome (I just noticed) it says PRO-164. Is that the info you need? I did not have any software to go with it. I managed this mess all by myself.

melh

We all understand your frustration. You have come to the right place. Your problems will melt away.
If you stay calm and provide required info.
First supply the mfg and model number.
New model scanners are best used with computer software.
The memory and settings are much easier when your using computer software to inteface your scanner.

You are now on the climb of whats known as the learning curve. Relax and go with the flow.

Hi Kennrth! Thank you! I can see I have help now so that does help me relax. I learned the computer with help so maybe there is hope for me with scanners too! I think that RadioShack Triple Trunking Handheld Pro -164 is what you need. :)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
When a scanner has NOTHING programmed, and you press SCAN, it will display "all channels locked out". Ironically if you program it full of frequencies but turn them all off, it will do the same thing.

Software is available to program the scanner; I use WIN97 (www.starrsoft.com). But you will also need the $35 cable from Radio Shack (20-047).

I assume you programmed in some frequencies. I will guess that you programmed them starting at channel 0 0 0. You can see what you have programmed by pressing MAN 0 0 0 MAN. Then use the MAN or UP (or DOWN) key to see the next one.

So if the above is true, and when you press SCAN you get the dreaded message, just press 0. Now what do you see?

melh

When I pushed MAN 000 MAN it did show me the frequencies I put in as well as what it came programmed with! Also, when I pressed SCAN and it came up that everything was locked, and I pushed 0, I seen my numbers! That is great.. So the next step is me getting the software? Is that correct? Tell me how I turned off the frequencies I put in? haha I didnt do that on purpose. I put them in and then pushed SCAN, and it was locked out?
Thank you again gmclam!

melh

If I push MAN 000 MAN is there a way I can make the frequencies I put in scan? I thought it was scanning then seen it was only scanning one number.

Sorry for being so unlearned.

N8IAA

If I push MAN 000 MAN is there a way I can make the frequencies I put in scan? I thought it was scanning then seen it was only scanning one number.

Sorry for being so unlearned.

OK, try pushing the other numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. Did you program more than one frequency into Bank 0?
Larry

melh

OK, try pushing the other numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. Did you program more than one frequency into Bank 0?
Larry

Ok, so now I know the 0's are the Bank. Well, if I can see the numbers I programmed in when I put the MAN 000 MAN in, does that mean I programed them in Bank 0? But when I push SCAN it doesnt Scan the numbers I put in, but a foreign number I do not recognize. I programed about 7 or 8 numbers in. How do I get it to scan the frequency's I put in?

Thanks for your help Larry.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
When pressing MAN, you are in MANUAL mode, not SCAN mode. To scan, press SCAN. But when scanning, it will only scan the banks you have selected with programmed, unlocked frequencies.

Ok, so now I know the 0s are the Bank.
I note that some scanners come pre-programmed with frequencies. They'll often use channels 000 to 150 or so. Channels 000 to 099 are in bank 0, channels 100 to 150 are in bank 1.

Well, if I can see the numbers I programmed in when I put the MAN 000 MAN in, does that mean I programed them in Bank 0?
Yes.

But when I push SCAN it doesnt Scan the numbers I put in, but a foreign number I do not recognize. I programed about 7 or 8 numbers in. How do I get it to scan the frequency's I put in?
What are the "channel locations" you programmed your frequencies in to?

Since your scanner probably has some pre-programmed stuff in banks 0 & 1, just to get past this issue, why don't you (re)program those 7 frequencies you want in to bank 2? Press MAN 2 0 0 MAN to get the channel 200. Press PGM and enter the first frequency. Press UP or PGM to advance to channel 201. Enter the 2nd frequency and press ENTER. Press UP or PGM to get to channel 202. Repeat until done.

When done programming press SCAN. If you get the "all channels locked out" message, press 2. The 1st line of your display should show "..2......" if you are scanning bank 2. To turn off other banks, press the number of the bank (0,1,3-9).

melh

Ok, I did like you said... and then pushed scan.. it came up all channels locked out... so I pushed 2. Now it says Scanning up ...Bank 2. I think I'm getting close now, but it is still not moving. There is a 234567 with the '2' blinking, if that tells you something, and a 'Pri--" next to it. When I push the arrow keys, it only makes a beep sound and nothing.

N8IAA

Try this. Press MANUAL, press 000. Look at the screen, the first line on the screen should be:
M000FM 154.00000
second line:
pri DLY lo +, or,
PRI DLY LO +
If you see LO, this means the frequency is Locked Out. If you see lo, this means the frequency is not locked out. If you see no frequency in Bank 0, channel number 000, this means that there is nothing programmed into this channel. You can confirm what is programmed into the scanner by just press MANUAL and verifying what is programmed into all 1,000 channels.
Third line should show any alphatags you have stored on the channel for that frequency.
Fourth line should show what mode that channel is in: CT for ctcss, DC for dcs, MOT for motorola, ED edacs, LTR, or, nothing at all.
When scanning, the first line shows what banks are being scanned, indicated by the the numbers 0 through 9 flashing. It should also show either pri/PRI. Lower case pri means priority is not turned on, PRI means it is.
Second line should show either a +/-. Plus sign means the bank is in OPEN mode, minus sign means it is in CLOSED mode.
Fourth line is the bank alphatag. This lets you know what is programmed into that bank. One of my banks is tagged DNR/Forestry.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I did like you said... and then pushed scan.. it came up all channels locked out... so I pushed 2. Now it says Scanning up ...Bank 2.
That is what it should say!!!!!!!

I think I'm getting close now, but it is still not moving. There is a 234567 with the '2' blinking, if that tells you something,
The blinking 2 means it is scanning bank 2. Apparently you do not have frequencies programmed in other banks. The numbers shown are banks you have on. To turn a bank off, press its number. To turn a bank on (0, 1, 8 & 9 are off), press its number.

and a 'Pri--" next to it.
That should be either "pri" or "PRI", never "Pri".

When I push the arrow keys, it only makes a beep sound and nothing.
That's because you are in scan mode. If you are scanning "UP", you can push the DOWN key to scan down. If you are scanning down, you can push the up key to scan up. If you are already scanning in that direction, it will BEEP.

melh

Larry, I'm afraid to mess with it again thinking I will lock it up again.. but it does say pri in lower case, and only the 2 of the 234567 is blinking, but I am getting messages in. They happen so fast I can't make out yet if it is just one channel, but something is working. I appreciate all you people's help.. I know I am getting close now. Should the rest of the numbers... 234567 be blinking too? Do you still want me to try what you said?

melh

gmclam, Ok, so it is doing what it is suppose to then... thank you so much. it is pri by the way. :)

N8IAA

Larry, I'm afraid to mess with it again thinking I will lock it up again.. but it does say pri in lower case, and only the 2 of the 234567 is blinking, but I am getting messages in. They happen so fast I can't make out yet if it is just one channel, but something is working. I appreciate all you people's help.. I know I am getting close now. Should the rest of the numbers... 234567 be blinking too? Do you still want me to try what you said?
Only if you want to know if there is anything programmed into those banks:) If you only have Bank 2 programmed, and that is all you want to monitor, no. If you only want to listen to the FD and PD TG's you have programmed into the scanner, do what I said about putting the bank in CLOSED mode.
Larry

Last edited:

melh

Ok, thanks Larry. I'll do it and let you know if I mess it up again. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.