Newcastle WY NWR off frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpreece

Assigned to !62.475, the past several days it is actually transmitting on 162.375 MHz. With the incoming winter storm this may be nice to know!

I have reported this via the NWR Outage page so hopefully they will get back on frequency soon.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Sounds as if the transmitter has burped...they will probably shut it down and then work on it!

mpreece

This evening, Friday, I called the NWSFO in Rapid City tonight and mentioned it to them directly that the tone test failed Wednesday morning and that it was dead at that time, and that I only discovered it was off frequency after Silver Springs MD notified me it looked all good on their end. This was the first report of problems they had at the office. Seemingly, no one listens to weather radio this time of year and trouble reports are not forwarded by "HQ" for local determination. The meteorologist was not only shocked ("how did the frequency change?") but quite grateful for the report.

I guess it pays to not assume that someone else has reported an issue!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I've been in several forecast offices and usually the NWS transmitter just sits there, unattended and hums along with no one paying attention to it...

mpreece

I've been in several forecast offices and usually the NWS transmitter just sits there, unattended and hums along with no one paying attention to it...
That is pretty much my experience, too. The first in my experience was at the NSSFC in Kansas City (60’s and 70’s); I believe it was the second station on the air. The transmit and 8-track cartridge tape racks were all local. They had to go in and manually erase/record tapes every hour or so for radar summaries, etc. But no one ever checked the electronics itself.

That was before any tone alerting days, and they would talk futuristically about a system where anyone could get a black box to plug in the wall and it would sit silently until the weather office would activate it. Good times, and it sat in a room across from the WSR-57 radar :)

The next was is Topeka, KS, but the local transmitter was a UHF link to a distant transmit site some 20-30 miles away. No more tapes by that time but I don’t know of any control or routine monitoring of the actual NWR signal. They had one staff member whose voice would routinely open weather radios!

For a brief period, during severe weather, a couple of the radar meteorologists would stretch the microphone cable down the hall to the green-screen (pre-Doppler) radar and give live, real/time weather radar updates and commentary. I think this was only for one or two seasons.

I hope no one minds the small history recitation. :)

As of early Sunday morning, with a blizzard affecting much of the state, this station is still cooking away on 162.375!!

Status
Not open for further replies.