• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Newer Ford Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

awd

Hey everybody,

I seem to remember seeing something a long time ago where someone had used Jotto/Havis style faceplates inside the stock large center console of the 2015+ model F150s. I can't remember if it was a custom job or if there was a manufactured kit to do this.

Anybody know anything that can jog my memory?

Thanks!

awd

Most of the manufacturers have a kit that consists of a frame that goes in the opening of the center console and lets you put in a couple of faceplates.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Is what you're talking about something specifically made for the F150's center console or is it like a universal box that fits inside and is mounted?

And the truck we're looking at upfitting does not have the middle seat - it's got the large center console that takes up the spot of the middle front seat.

Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey, thanks for the reply. Is what you're talking about something specifically made for the F150's center console or is it like a universal box that fits inside and is mounted?

And the truck we're looking at upfitting does not have the middle seat - it's got the large center console that takes up the spot of the middle front seat.

Thanks!

Right, it's a specific frame for the F series trucks that goes in the center console. It's predrilled for the face plates.
Good "hide away" option for those that need it. You need to consider routing the microphone cable, heat dissipation and remote speakers.

awd

Right, it's a specific frame for the F series trucks that goes in the center console. It's predrilled for the face plates.
Good "hide away" option for those that need it. You need to consider routing the microphone cable, heat dissipation and remote speakers.
Do you have a link you can share? I just found the following here: Center Console Radio Mount – PCI Race Radios . Couldn't find anything on the Jotto/Havis sites unfortunately. If it's basically similar mounting concept we may be able to take this and run with it as well.

Radio will be remote mount so that should help with the heat issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is the Havis F-150 page: https://www.havis.com/product-categ...ype-make/ford/ford-f-150/consoles-ford-f-150/

This is the Jotto F-150 page: Equipment Consoles

@mmckenna I don't see any kind of frame that goes in the center console. Maybe it's not an F-150-specific item.

I'm having trouble finding now, also.
I'll keep my eyes open. I've seen them in the past, but not sure they were really a popular item, so maybe they got dropped. Or, maybe I'm thinking of something else….

RFI-EMI-GUY

Most of the manufacturers have a kit that consists of a frame that goes in the opening of the center console and lets you put in a couple of faceplates.
I am looking for same for a 2001 Expedition. After pulling the broken 6 CD player there is a gun of room. I could probably fabricate a frame, but it would seem someone has a modular frame that could fit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am looking for same for a 2001 Expedition. After pulling the broken 6 CD player there is a gun of room. I could probably fabricate a frame, but it would seem someone has a modular frame that could fit.

I did one once. I fabricated it out of a 3/16" aluminum plate.
But I ended up not liking it and removing it all. Still had to mount speakers, routing microphones, etc.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I did one once. I fabricated it out of a 3/16" aluminum plate.
But I ended up not liking it and removing it all. Still had to mount speakers, routing microphones, etc.
Was the location too inconvenient? I don't want my interior to look like a police cruiser and the console space is pretty well wasted with junk.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Was the location too inconvenient? I don't want my interior to look like a police cruiser and the console space is pretty well wasted with junk.

Yeah, at my elbow, so really had to crank my neck to see the radio.
Had to leave the lid open if I wanted to hear it, until I added external speakers.
Mic cords hanging out, didn't want to extend them out of the bottom.

Really low profile and a good option if you don't need to adjust the radio often.

Just became more trouble than it was worth.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Yeah, at my elbow, so really had to crank my neck to see the radio.
Had to leave the lid open if I wanted to hear it, until I added external speakers.
Mic cords hanging out, didn't want to extend them out of the bottom.

Really low profile and a good option if you don't need to adjust the radio often.

Just became more trouble than it was worth.
What did you change to?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What did you change to?

Mounted it exposed on the console. I think I may have switched to a remote head. It was a 2004 F150, so my memory is a bit foggy.
If I recall correctly, it had an Icom F221 for GMRS and I think a Yaesu FT-2500 originally. Might have switched to an Icom F-2020 with remote head and something for the hammy stuff.
The next F150 I bought had bench seats and I mounted under the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.