Newest SDS200's

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Neither the noise mitigation part nor the firmware update completely eliminate all background. That is why it is called "mitigation part" and not "elimination part." The noise is generally mitigated to the point where it is virtually inaudible when masked by actual radio traffic. You will not find a unit that has complete elimination.

I found a solution...install part per UPMan's video...turn on scanner...turn on another Uniden scanner....then another....then another...so many scanners, so much radio traffic...what noise? :ROFLMAO:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Best results occur with the best conductance between the part and the frame. So, cleaning the frame better than we showed in the video could help, but we don't recommend using any but the barest minimum of moisture of any kind. Slightly dampened cloth w/alcohol or solvent is OK, but you should never feel that anything in the scanner is getting wet (or even damp). And, nothing that could leave metal shavings inside the scanner. Really, just very firm pressure down on the inner chassis while reassembling is normally adequate.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Best results occur with the best conductance between the part and the frame. So, cleaning the frame better than we showed in the video could help, but we don't recommend using any but the barest minimum of moisture of any kind. Slightly dampened cloth w/alcohol or solvent is OK, but you should never feel that anything in the scanner is getting wet (or even damp). And, nothing that could leave metal shavings inside the scanner. Really, just very firm pressure down on the inner chassis while reassembling is normally adequate.

Alcohol preps were used here.

torishu

Neither the noise mitigation part nor the firmware update completely eliminate all background. That is why it is called "mitigation part" and not "elimination part." The noise is generally mitigated to the point where it is virtually inaudible when masked by actual radio traffic. You will not find a unit that has complete elimination.

Thank you so much for this.

What I, and probably others, found worrisome were the reports of "zero" hum while we can still hear it on our scanners. I managed to mitigate the noise quite a bit on mine, probably the maximum possible, and put it in a noisier room to help mask it, but it's not "zero."

Personally, I feel a lot better knowing that we now know we "will not find a unit that has complete elimination" because it puts the question to rest, finally, on whether our units are still defective or not.

I've heard a few of these units now and have been able to hear the "hum" on every single one. I've just about managed to get to a place where I think of it like the high-pitched whine on an old CRT and know if I can hear it, the unit is powered on and working. ;)

I'm now back in the market to probably pick up one of these "newest SDS200s" as a second unit when I'm able, especially since the hum issue seems to be addressed as much as possible on the latest batches. Thanks for the reports and clarification.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hearing the hum after mitigation part (assuming well installed) depends on listeners age and listening environment. Even then, for most the hum is completely unapparent from more than a couple of feet away (but if you have very good hearing at those frequency ranges, it could be farther). We continue to study additional ways to improve this, but it is not likely that any future improvement would be able to be made retroactively.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Hearing the hum after mitigation part (assuming well installed) depends on listeners age and listening environment. Even then, for most the hum is completely unapparent from more than a couple of feet away (but if you have very good hearing at those frequency ranges, it could be farther). We continue to study additional ways to improve this, but it is not likely that any future improvement would be able to be made retroactively.

Thanks for the reply, on a unit that already has the part from the factory, would it have the rubber strip it shows you remove in the video? Thinking of taking a look, because I don’t know if it has it already or not. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I don't believe the strip would be there, as it would prevent good contact. All new factory units went to you guys (after engineering examined samples and process) and not to me. I still have pre- and first-production in my office for my testing and use.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

I should add to this that there is no guarantee that we will ever find anything else to change in production. I would not predicate a current purchase on a vague possibility.

Bob1955

I should add to this that there is no guarantee that we will ever find anything else to change in production. I would not predicate a current purchase on a vague possibility.
Paul, Why is this SDS-200 the MOST problem prone radio in Uniden's history? At a price point of $699.95, shouldn't there be ZERO issues with this scanner? I'm I missing something here?
Have a good work-week.

radio3353

I hope this is not a PC way of saying you give up. I really would like to buy a SDS200, but between this problem and the flickering screen problem (possibly caused by an improperly seated cable as you said in another post) still being reported (as of 30 minutes ago on another thread), no way is my money leaving my pocket. I think Uniden has a QA problem and needs to address it. I really hope they are successful at getting reliable SDS200's into the field. I won't play roulette with $650.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I hope this is not a PC way of saying you give up. I really would like to buy a SDS200, but between this problem and the flickering screen problem (possibly caused by an improperly seated cable as you said in another post) still being reported (as of 30 minutes ago on another thread), no way is my money leaving my pocket. I think Uniden has a QA problem and needs to address it. I really hope they are successful at getting reliable SDS200's into the field. I won't play roulette with $650.
Buy that new Whistler

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am seeing lots of new reports of SDS200 purchases without problems lately. I don't think it's a fair assumption to single out Uniden and that anyone would be 'playing roulette' with their $650 when buying from them. Consider and compare the sales numbers of the SDS200 sold and the percentage of those radios with technical issues at Uniden to any other electronic product on the market and I tend to believe it's not out of the norm at all. You're 'playing roulette' with your money no matter where you spend it when buying electronics these days. Quality control is just not what it used to be due to people not caring about their jobs and not performing to the best of their abilities. It's the nature of the beast.

JD
kf4anc

mule1075

Feed Provider
Paul, Why is this SDS-200 the MOST problem prone radio in Uniden's history? At a price point of $699.95, shouldn't there be ZERO issues with this scanner? I'm I missing something here?
Have a good work-week.
Not even close to the most problem prone. That would be the 8500xlt and 2500xlt. And yes you are missing alot you have no experience with either the 100 or 200. Maybe buy one and then you can test it for yourself and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. But we know you won't do that you will just continue to post nonsense and misinformation.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Not even close to the most problem prone. That would be the 8500xlt and 2500xlt. And yes you are missing alot you have no experience with either the 100 or 200. Maybe buy one and then you can test it for yourself and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. But we know you won't do that you will just continue to post nonsense and misinformation.
I had one years ago the the channels would change frequency, sometimes to frequencies the scanner couldn't even receive. You never knew when it happened just that the scanner got quiet for long time. Sent it in to Uniden and they tried to fix it, but it still happened. I gave it away.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I had one years ago the the channels would change frequency, sometimes to frequencies the scanner couldn't even receive. You never knew when it happened just that the scanner got quiet for long time. Sent it in to Uniden and they tried to fix it, but it still happened. I gave it away.

Yup got rid of mine also and waited for the 9000xlt and 3000xlt. It was almost $1000 dollars and that was without the tone board for the 9000 and extra batteries for the 3000. IT was about 30 years ago and took a loss on the 8500 and 2500.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Have a good work-week.

I agree and since all of these fixes and a replacement radio that was sent to me the radio is still not perfect. I still hear a hum when the radio is in conversation which is still annoying. I just figured I was sold a bill of bad goods and have to live with my purchase at this point. I tend to go back to my BCD996P2 and BCT15X since those radios have no issues and I have never encountered any complaints on my end.

Just not sure how they got those radios right from the beginning and then with the BCD536HP and then the SDS-200 radios the quality control has gone south.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I agree and since all of these fixes and a replacement radio that was sent to me the radio is still not perfect. I still hear a hum when the radio is in conversation which is still annoying. I just figured I was sold a bill of bad goods and have to live with my purchase at this point. I tend to go back to my BCD996P2 and BCT15X since those radios have no issues and I have never encountered any complaints on my end.

Just not sure how they got those radios right from the beginning and then with the BCD536HP and then the SDS-200 radios the quality control has gone south.
So send it back for a refund

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Yup got rid of mine also and waited for the 9000xlt and 3000xlt. It was almost $1000 dollars and that was without the tone board for the 9000 and extra batteries for the 3000. IT was about 30 years ago and took a loss on the 8500 and 2500.
I don't remember what it was it was the first scanner released without a 9volt battery. Something like 500 channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.