Newest SDS200's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I agree and since all of these fixes and a replacement radio that was sent to me the radio is still not perfect. I still hear a hum when the radio is in conversation which is still annoying. I just figured I was sold a bill of bad goods and have to live with my purchase at this point. I tend to go back to my BCD996P2 and BCT15X since those radios have no issues and I have never encountered any complaints on my end.

Just not sure how they got those radios right from the beginning and then with the BCD536HP and then the SDS-200 radios the quality control has gone south.
The 996p2 was far from perfect when released. After firmware updates that changed just like all radios.

BCD996P2FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

scannersnstuff

I like how they think the x96 series was or is so perfect. Evidently they didn't buy it when it was released.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I still hear that the 996p2, is a dog on the njics.Funny, because it's portable twin, the bcd325p2, is pretty useful there.

radio3353

...Consider and compare the sales numbers of the SDS200 sold and the percentage of those radios with technical issues at Uniden to any other electronic product on the market and I tend to believe it's not out of the norm at all...

JD
kf4anc

I would love to! Tell me how.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Out of over 2000 SDS200 serial numbers we have less than 100 complaints and some of those do not own and never bought the sds200.
Would you care to check the recall numbers for FORD CHEVY and DODGE?
Would you care to check the numbers of TV's returned just to WALMART.
How about that MICROSOFT and patches to flawed products.
Do not forget APPLE products.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I would love to! Tell me how.

I would like to tell you how, but I would have to know the Uniden sales and repair order statistics to nail those numbers down for you, but the law of averages just here in this forum indicate there are a lot more satisfied owners than there are dissatisfied owners and I base my assumptions on that. How many SDS200s have been sold? Would you say hundreds or thousands? This forum is but a tiny indicator in the overall customer base at Uniden, so that 'satisfied' number can only be larger considering a large portion do not frequent the RR Uniden Forum. The dissatisfied will seek out the Uniden forum and post, as we see with a few posts by folks who are brand new here. Not many, but a few. By my own personal observational count, there are maybe 40-50 or so dissatisfied customers ( I am getting my numbers from a few places like Reddit, Facebook, YouTube, here, etc. where I read reviews) who voice their concerns here as opposed to many more on the opposite end of the radio rainbow that are satisfied, and many more satisfied that do not even bother to post their reviews here. Dissatisfied customers will, no doubt, be more vocal and post more to vent their anger, but how many more multiplied satisfied customers do we not even hear from? And, how many negative shills complain that do not even own the radio? There are no product recalls, so that pretty much answers that. If the problem were huge and the repair calls and complaints were outrageous, then we'd see a total product recall. Uniden stepped up to the plate with a repair campaign for those 40 or so customers who complained of a hum. I'd say the ratio is tipped in favor of. Look at the big picture. You don't need statistics to see that. Just go by what you've been reading so far.

But, this is, of course, just my personal observation from what I have seen posted here. I'm sure some here read with tinted glasses and see things quite differently. We all have our opinions, don't we.

JD
kf4anc

PS - okay I stand corrected, I was just 'assuming and guessing' I just read budd's post, 2000 serial numbers, 100 complaints. There's the big picture for ya, in statistics.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
What I think is funny is how some folks expected a major manufacturing change from the first SDS 200s to the 2nd shipment. They may have added the fix part but a major change in manufacturing in 2 weeks just no way.

radio3353

So is expecting a scanner from a pager company

Why? Are you familiar with Unication? Take a look at their roadmap here Unication Product Road Map and I am sure you will agree that they have more than enough expertise to develop a scanner. That is, if they believe the hobby market is viable. That may be a difficult question given prices the hobbyist will accept and the effects of encryption on much of the hobby. I think the SDS prices are already pushing the limits of some hobbyists and certainly the non-hobbyist citizen who just wants to stay in touch with the goings on around them.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Why? Are you familiar with Unication? Take a look at their roadmap here Unication Product Road Map and I am sure you will agree that they have more than enough expertise to develop a scanner. That is, if they believe the hobby market is viable. That may be a difficult question given prices the hobbyist will accept and the effects of encryption on much of the hobby. I think the SDS prices are already pushing the limits of some hobbyists and certainly the non-hobbyist citizen who just wants to stay in touch with the goings on around them.
Dream on..

markjrenna

Hearing the hum after mitigation part (assuming well installed) depends on listeners age and listening environment. Even then, for most the hum is completely unapparent from more than a couple of feet away (but if you have very good hearing at those frequency ranges, it could be farther). We continue to study additional ways to improve this, but it is not likely that any future improvement would be able to be made retroactively.

At some point will units ship that are free of this hum? Meaning the design and manufacture will be changed to eliminate the hum completely?

torishu

I'm about the most OCD of us all, I'm guessing, and my take on this, regarding the "hum" is...

I appreciate UPMan's honesty in explaining the situation to us. Knowing that I've mitigated it as much as possible (I believe this to be the case -- I spent hours experimenting with the fix), I'm fine with it. The reports of "zero" hum concerned me because mine isn't zero but now that I know, I bet most/all would consider mine "zero" under the same conditions they consider their hum to be zero. I am fairly confident now that my unit isn't an outlier or defective. For my money, I wanted my unit to be as perfect as the next person's for the same money.

In a room with a modest amount of ambient noise, it's fine. Like I've said, it's about like an old CRT hum or the SSD being written to on my fanless laptop -- and that's in a completely quiet room without the furnace in the basement or the refrigerator running in the kitchen the room over. When the refrigerator comes on ~20 feet away, I can't hear it at all.

I'm not worried about waiting 18 months for a POSSIBLE further minuscule reduction in operating noise because that's 18 months without this great scanner. I will be picking up my second unit way before then. It's really pretty much a non-issue for me as long as I know that all units are more or less equal after the fix has been properly applied.

In my current listening location, I don't even have the firmware noise muting fix toggled because it's that much of a non-issue. The only thing going in the room is a fan in a corner on low to keep the air from getting stale. I can't hear the operating noise ("hum") under these conditions.

My hearing is admittedly excellent. It's about equivalent to a teenager's still. I wish I could say the same about my eyes. ;)

If *I* have gotten over it, I think anybody can. Don't let it keep you from getting the unit if you're interested and this issue is your main concern. If you buy it now, the fix should be applied and if it does still bother you, you can return it and wait for the next model or MAYBE a further miniscule reduction in noise way down the line. I bet the people who do will be few, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.