Icom: Newly Aquired Icom IC-745 Drifting Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatHunter

I always wanted to move forward and pursue getting my amateur radio license. Inspired by the thought I was told about a Ham swap site where all kinds of new and older transceivers and other related equipment goes up for sale. I spotted an Icom IC-745 that looked pretty nice and had a description that stated " good operating condition". The shipping on this big heavy radio was around another $60 hit. The day I received it I unpacked it I attached an antenna and powered it up. Initially the S-meter did not light up. Fiddling around with the rotary switch it comes on occasionally - that's problem number one. I tune from 11 mhz to the 20m amateur band and found some CW. I go through the modes and CW & RTTY are not working - problem number two. I go back to USB and tune in a nice strong signal. I notice that signal appears to be drifting so I returned. It moved up another few more khz. So I thought I'd try some 20m voice. I'm hearing both sides of the conversation very well, for about 5 seconds. Then it sounds like I'm listening to Donald Duck and then it got totally garbled. I retuned once again. Oh no!!! I have the dreaded drifting tuner I've heard about for many years but never experienced myself - problem number three (the game changer). I read the manuals front to back, tried different antennas and different power supplies. Nothing improved. Going through my head - did I buy a lemon? A few hundred dollars down the drain that I could have invested in a new radio. I know technically minded people could troubleshoot this and likely find a fix. I'm not one of them. I also planned to use it as a receiver for my elderly father so he can listen in on shortwave. Anyone had an experience with this? If it's not an easy fix I might as well sell it for parts to recoup some of my losses. Buying used - a lesson learned (unfortunately) & I'll never do it again!

RFI-EMI-GUY

You might try keeping it on for a few days to bake out any humidity and perhaps stabilize the oscillators. I assume you are using a well regulated power supply? De-Oxit on the switches and plugs and a similar product on variable controls may be in order.

I would start here:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The seller advertised it as working, and out of the box it's busted. What he said. Hopefully you paid with PayPal Goods and Services and not Friends and Fraud so you have some recourse.

As a matter of course older radios like this should be AVOIDED if you're just starting out UNLESS YOU KNOW THE SELLER, IT'S LOCAL, and you can TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Often times a 30-35 year old rig may work fine but after UPiss/FedEX/USPS throws it around, something old may get just enough shock to do damage in transit.

Hopefully the seller will stand behind their sale and refund you (after you return it and eat that cost). Take the funds and buy a new rig from HRO. Trust me you will be much better off for a first rig buying something modern, new and WITH A WARRANTY from a legitimate dealer who will be there after the sale.

SatHunter

The seller advertised it as working, and out of the box it's busted. What he said. Hopefully you paid with PayPal Goods and Services and not Friends and Fraud so you have some recourse.

As a matter of course older radios like this should be AVOIDED if you're just starting out UNLESS YOU KNOW THE SELLER, IT'S LOCAL, and you can TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Often times a 30-35 year old rig may work fine but after UPiss/FedEX/USPS throws it around, something old may get just enough shock to do damage in transit.

Hopefully the seller will stand behind their sale and refund you (after you return it and eat that cost). Take the funds and buy a new rig from HRO. Trust me you will be much better off for a first rig buying something modern, new and WITH A WARRANTY from a legitimate dealer who will be there after the sale.
I totally agree with everything you say but unfortunately it was a cash purchase. I’ve been watching in this region for a couple of years for a receiver or transceiver but mostly what turns up is Radio Shack shortwave portables. I will take your advice and only shop locally where I can test out the rig before I fork over the cash. And better still I’m going to put the funds aside and purchase a new radio, I’ve been anxious to deal with HRO so this will be the opportunity.
I also appreciate RFI-EMI-GUY’s suggestions by leaving the radio powered up for a whole week, cleaning the controls and trying 2 different power supplies and a 12V car battery. Nothing improved at all. In fact USB seems to be deteriorating with mostly just weak garble so it’s difficult the focus on the drift. I don’t know about LSB but I will test it out when conditions are good. I assume there is more wrong than what I originally anticipate. The “IC-745 problems” is a good read. There is a lot of things that can go wrong with these old beasts. As I mentioned before I’ll just get rid of it and let someone else put the money into fixing it up or harvest it for parts

RFI-EMI-GUY

How does it perform in AM? The problems in USB or LSB can be a result of a drifting BFO or bad SSB filters. If drift is the major problem, see if you can troubleshoot it and perhaps you will have a working radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.