Newport News Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkreyling

Can anyone help in this matter? I have tried various frequencies, systems, etc and I can only get a hit from them now and then. Does anyone have any information on this system? When they were conventional it was a very busy system so I know it should be rather busy but no luck here...

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone help in this matter? I have tried various frequencies, systems, etc and I can only get a hit from them now and then. Does anyone have any information on this system? When they were conventional it was a very busy system so I know it should be rather busy but no luck here...
If you've got the P25 system, that's the one. Simulcast distortion is probably your problem if you're getting bits and pieces

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jkreyling

If you've got the P25 system, that's the one. Simulcast distortion is probably your problem if you're getting bits and pieces

Yes, I have the P25 Simulcast and also the Project 16 Primary in the scanner. I am not getting bits and pieces, the ones I do receive are good, I just dont get many hits (broadcasts). I have it running full time with the log on and there are very few entries in it. couple of each N1, S1 and so on. I know there is a lot more traffic, I just done get it. Also running an outside antenna at 30 feet with a preamp. I am only 20 miles from there in Smithfield, va.

...frustrating... :)

Jim

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber

Yes, I have the P25 Simulcast and also the Project 16 Primary in the scanner. I am not getting bits and pieces, the ones I do receive are good, I just dont get many hits (broadcasts). I have it running full time with the log on and there are very few entries in it. couple of each N1, S1 and so on. I know there is a lot more traffic, I just done get it. Also running an outside antenna at 30 feet with a preamp. I am only 20 miles from there in Smithfield, va.

...frustrating... :)

Jim
You can ditch the P16 system. They don't use that anymore. Try using the scanner without the preamp or try adjusting the antenna slightly

jkreyling

Just wondering, do you hear a lot of traffic from them? Before they changed I used to get a lot of traffic on my old HP1. I had to upgrade to get the new support for today's new protocols and I had to hoped to get them back in the system. I also have a new HP2 in my mobile. I can understand the 436 has trouble, but the 536 is connected to the 30 ft antenna and I hear stuff 6x or so the distance to me from Newport News.

I just turned on some more service options in case that was the problem...

Thanks for all your input.

Jim

jkreyling

I now have only the NN P25 system in scanner, all else turned off.

It was set for Project 25x2 tdma, heard nothing. Now set to Project 25 standard. I have to have something in my setup out of whack.

I believe you are using a 436 shown in your signature, if so, here is what I have in the 536.

these are the freqs I am using.

mikext

It's not phase 2, try P-25 auto, I hear them loud and clear in Portsmouth as well. NNPD is as busy on the P-25 system as they were on the analog P-16 system.

jkreyling

Thank you both, nothing is working for me. Got to walk away for awhile ! This is really upsetting... 3 new scanners and nothing is working out. One of those days I assume...

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Thank you both, nothing is working for me. Got to walk away for awhile ! This is really upsetting... 3 new scanners and nothing is working out. One of those days I assume...
Try using all the frequencies listed in the DB, what kinda antenna are you using on the 436?

jkreyling

OK, I am back at it. Had to take a cool down break. :)

The 436 has a Diamond SRH789 wide band antenna.

I have not really been using it to test, I have been using the 536 with the outside Diamond J130 discone wide band antenna at 30 feet approx.

If both you guys are hearing them and my scanners are able to do it and I am closer than you, I have got to have something wrong in setup somewhere. Back to the grind...

Thanks much, Jim

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
OK, I am back at it. Had to take a cool down break. :)

The 436 has a Diamond SRH789 wide band antenna.

I have not really been using it to test, I have been using the 536 with the outside Diamond J130 discone wide band antenna at 30 feet approx.

If both you guys are hearing them and my scanners are able to do it and I am closer than you, I have got to have something wrong in setup somewhere. Back to the grind...

Thanks much, Jim

I 3rd what others have said. i live in hampton, have a 436 (and others) and hear NN fine, lots of action. if you download the system from sentinel, it works just fine. i did and mine works fine. make sure you are also in ID SEARCH mode, but this should not be your prob as there are very few that come across without a TGID, 314 is one if i remember right. where are you located?

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

one thing though, there are parts of hampton where i do not copy NN, the dog park off mercury this often happens. maybe u are having trouble coypying a tower from where you are. i noticed now that you are in smithfield? if so, take the scanner other places (and closer) and see if you are copying the system.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Ok one question i never seen ask yet.
How old is the coax and antenna?

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

jkreyling

Thanks to all you have tried to help me out here...

Here are all the details of scanners:

Mobile:
HP2 (replaced HP1) using a Austin Spectra antenna

Home:
BCD536 (replaced 996XT) using a diamond wide band discone at 30 feet (antenna and coax about 3 yrs old)

Portable:
BCD436 (replaced 396XT) using a diamond SRH789 wide band

The reason I just purchased all new scanners was mainly to get Newport News back in the system, so you can see why the frustration is there after spending around $1,500.00 plus the upgrades to them.

Now, I had scanner running all night and logging using Butel ARC536Pro, I logged 9 hits between 6 and 7 this AM (South, Central and dispatch). That is all it logged starting at 11 last night until right now. I am going over to NN this evening and taking the HP2 and 436 and see what I receive.

I also reset (2-9-Dept and turn on) all scanners and only have it monitoring NN. All have been quiet all day ! Also set the ID search to ON.

If I use the full dbase, I get as far as middlesex, emporia, new kent, gloucester and so on. It would seem that NN should be coming in loud and clear or I am in one hell of a black hole ! :)

Again, thank you much...

jkreyling

Forgot, I have not used RR for the dbase freqs, i used only the supplied info from Sentinal after the full reset. Dbase is also up to date as is the firmware.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all you have tried to help me out here...

Here are all the details of scanners:

Mobile:
HP2 (replaced HP1) using a Austin Spectra antenna

Home:
BCD536 (replaced 996XT) using a diamond wide band discone at 30 feet (antenna and coax about 3 yrs old)

Portable:
BCD436 (replaced 396XT) using a diamond SRH789 wide band

The reason I just purchased all new scanners was mainly to get Newport News back in the system, so you can see why the frustration is there after spending around $1,500.00 plus the upgrades to them.

Now, I had scanner running all night and logging using Butel ARC536Pro, I logged 9 hits between 6 and 7 this AM (South, Central and dispatch). That is all it logged starting at 11 last night until right now. I am going over to NN this evening and taking the HP2 and 436 and see what I receive.

I also reset (2-9-Dept and turn on) all scanners and only have it monitoring NN. All have been quiet all day ! Also set the ID search to ON.

If I use the full dbase, I get as far as middlesex, emporia, new kent, gloucester and so on. It would seem that NN should be coming in loud and clear or I am in one hell of a black hole ! :)

Again, thank you much...

I live in Hampton. if you come to NN and are not copying them, send me an email. BorderPhd@gmail.com

you could bring that thing by and i could program it for you. I have a 436 and it works fine on NN system. also, all of my other digital scanners as well.

coolderb

You may want to try using the Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna. I have used both wide-band (25-1300Mhz) and 800Mhz antennas on my BHP436 and 536. The 800Mhz captures the 800Mhz systems a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.