News guys on 462.625 GMRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
Hearing a group of guys on 462.625 mostly in the Sacramento area chasing calls. Sound like they could be media related. Anyone else heard them or know who they are?

sacluded

Hearing a group of guys on 462.625 mostly in the Sacramento area chasing calls. Sound like they could be media related. Anyone else heard them or know who they are?

I came here looking for the same thing. I heard one of them give a call sign of WKOJ971, but I couldn't find the call in the FCC database.

kma371

QRT
Well I googled the name on the license and he's a photojournalist, So makes sense.

sacscan

Listened to them last night. Good stuff! It was fun hearing them talk about calls I heard on the scanner a few minutes earlier. Our own version of "Stringers". :D

sacluded

It might not be for profit. They do all need their own license though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

EMT-Pat

Is that the repeater with the odd dtmf after every transmission? I never hear that repeater ID, or anybody else using it. I'm surprised they don't get in trouble.

sacscan

It is the repeater with the courtesy tone at the end of each transmission. It doesn't sound like a DTMF tone. CTCSS is 186.2. I heard a lot of kerchunks of that repeater prior to hearing the two stringers.

When they were done talking, they each signed off with a different call sign.

The BC895XLT has a good enough reverse burst to mute the courtesy tone, which is nice. My newer scanners let the tone through, go figure. Other frequencies like EDSO, PCSO, Placerville PD, Yolo County Sheriff, etc. sound better on my newer scanners, which mute the squelch tail better. Another frequency that always mutes properly at the end of the transmission on the BC895XLT is CHP OCAPS (460.375 CTCSS 127.3)

916maverick

Darn! You found us! ;-) Yeah, you got the right team there... SacMav.com. Just info for ya: we are a stringer team but converting into our own public service news agency that will be non-profit. We're temporarily on that repeater with permission. We'll actually be moving over to our own system in the next few days... and we don't mind you following us. We're all also Skywarn Storm Spotters for NWS. We actually welcome anyone who wants to help expand the team... but we don't want just anybody responding to incidents w/out proper scene safety training and how to interact w/ police and fire officials, etc. We will be holding a weekend workshop in the very near future which will also include segments with police, fire, and sheriff PIO's.

We have a very good game plan for the future and welcome your involvement and suggestions.

sacscan

Be sure to let us know the freqs and/or talkgroups ;) This is the best non-law enforcement listening out there right now. I have a BC895XLT monitoring you guys and CHP OCAPS, since that scanner is now only good for conventional frequencies with CTCSS tones thanks to rebanding. I listen to most of the fire and law enforcement stuff on other scanners.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Gmrs can be interesting at times. Our local airport here in central Ill. is still using 462.625 / 167.9 pl to coordinate their fuel trucks (unlicensed) and probably has no plans to switch.

n9zas

charlielinn

916maverick thanx for the info and yea..been listenin' nightly. Will certainly be following ya'all when you make the move to the new system. And your website is great!! Lotta work and planning put into your operation, it shows! Everybody..be sure to check out the link that wskrayen posted (about four posts up the page) well worth it.
By the way..I'm hearing an airport fuel operation on 462.250...anyone know if it's Mather, Mclellan, or ?
Gotta scan the frs/gmrs freqs more often. Sumpin' different for a change!

916maverick

Hey you guys... we really want to thank you for the kind and encouraging words. We're doing our best to help keep our communities informed. In that vane, in our team meeting tonight, since we do have permission to continue on the current repeater, we decided to keep our main operations where they are now and we'll use our new repeater and freq as our tac channel (no, we won't publish it, you'll have to stumble on it ;-) ).

If you want some interesting listening, check out this video from the "Traction Ave Fire". It's almost 15min and part way through you hear our media coms when one of our team members starts getting gun fire at his house. SacMav Rapid Media Fire claims Traction Avenue home - SacMav Rapid Media

LOOKING FORWARD: We have a couple cool things on tap for the summer to help keep you informed. We just formed a part of our team that will access difficult to reach incidents on quads; we're also working on developing our river media team and relaunching our live channel which will be interactive w/ live chat. So some exciting things ahead.

leitung

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I monitor GMRS in the Sacramento area a lot, I never picked you guys up before, also never heard of a repeater with that freq/tone out there. I have SHARP, Sac Metro, Parkway 575, and atlas pk programmed in my HT1000. Sharp is the best one I have used so far, and it has a tone at the end of the transmisssion.
I would be curious to montitor you guys at night for fun, gonna add that freq to my scanner. If it sounds cool I might pop the $ to have my ht1000 reprogrammed and join in on my days off.

KD6HRI

This sounds pretty cool guys! I believe I will include the GMRS frequencies in my programming and give these guys a listen. Checked out the link 916maverick included and was really interesting.

gvranchosbill

RE: 462.6250 Mhz/Ctcss 186.2

Believe it or not i can hear that repeater over here in Nevada just East of Lake tahoe.
Ive been trying to figure out what i had been listing too.
It some times comes in very well then will fade away slowly.
May i ask the location of Repeater?
Most repeaters i pick up from Sacramento Valley are on Towers in the Valley or Vaca.

916maverick

That repeater is on Mount Vaca. That's quite a throw to be reaching over there... good to know. Given the time stamp on your post, you were probably hearing us responding to the OIS in Galt early this morning. I was very pleased to discover we had good radio coverage down there as well. Our control center was coming in L&C and I was coming in a little scratchy for him on my P200 HT when I was out on scene. Here's our photos from the OIS in Galt this morning: http://bit.ly/ynZuMd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.