News guys on 462.625 GMRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA6PDY

Premium Subscriber
Wow East of Lake Tahoe!

Yep, the repeater is on Mt.Vaca near Highway 80 and 12. It has great range but I never thought someone would hear it East of Lake Tahoe. That is amazing for a GMRS repeater not being linked or anything. It is heard in the Bay Area as far South as San Jose. It doesn't do go on the East Bay side due to the East Bay Hills are blocking the signal. It does good in the I-680 corridor and of coarse the Sacramento Valley from about Modesto to Marysville and the Foothills. We have some other GMRS repeaters that we use for different area's. We're mainly on this one though.

I'm one of the Mobiles and Controllers WQLE614 and I've been a HAM for 10+ years KA6PDY aka Mobile11. I'm glad you guys like what you hear. We aren't "Wanna Be's" running around playing "cops and robbers" it might sound that way but we talk the lingo so it is easier to understand sometimes. I'm originally from San Francisco and San Mateo County and used to Dispatch Mobile Life Support and Mercy Life Care in San Mateo County before Baystar or AMR.I'm still learning the codes here. I so wanna go back to saying 11-80 or 519 for a auto accident or when there is a chase I wanna hear 'Go to The Green"...LOL

So, any input you guys could make is helping us on the air! Thanks 73's and Happy Monitoring!

Oh, we are on Twitter too. Twitter:mad:SacMav

gvranchosbill

The signal varies from day to day but ive been hearing it out there for maybe years?

I have a friend ive known for 40+ years "N6OIM Eric in Sacramento County", you may have talked to him recently.
Over here im associated with "KD7FPK Dave Gardnerville,NV" and "KF7MYT Kevin Virginia City,NV"
They have been pushing me hard to get my Lic.

Im working on getting my Tech Lic and have passed the Online Test 3 times in a row and allready have a large assortment of radio gear (Toys) for UHF and VHF " that are Field Programable" and Multiple receivers.

I was hearing you guys on one of my Motorola GP-300 portables using a Tram UHF Gain antenna/LMR-400 coax.
Then switched over to my Uniden BCT-15 to decode your CTCSS Tone.

I wondering what freq your going to?

The repeaters i can hear here are limited, one i hear all the time is a VHF LTR system on Mt Vaca and there are only two users on it, A taxi cab co in Fairfield area and Cozz's Towing in Roseville area, The freqs are 151.7450 [Lcn1] & 151.8950 [Lcn3].

I can hear numerous 2 Meter repeaters over the hill from here and a couple of 70 Cm repeaters from over there as well.

Last edited:

KA6PDY

Premium Subscriber
New Freq

Well, hurry up and get you license! You passed 3 times? You should be able to pass the written test no problem then. They give you 3 times to take it if you don't pass the first time unless that has changed.

Once you get your license you'll be programming in everything...LOL I did. Eventually you'll find the machines you like. I haven't gone general just cause I like 2M/440 and besides that the higher the license the high the prices of the radio's.

We are looking into a few different freqs to use but, You'll have to look for them ;) Yeah we know N6OIM actually he is gonna be training with us in the near future.

Try the CARLA Machine up in Reno 440.750 Local PL 156.7 or Link PL 127.3 or the Carson City Machine 443.325 Local PL 156.7 or Link 127.3 and or if you want more info go to Welcome - K6LNK - California Amateur Radio Linking Association

73's,KA6PDY

916maverick

Premium Subscriber
Yeah... N6OIM will be training w/ us in the very very near future... like last night ;-) He's Mobile 13 on our system... so you'll know when you hear him.

leitung

Premium Subscriber
Heard you guys out there tonight around 3am, I was down on folsom & howe on 462.625 on my ht1000. Something about a garage on fire. Repeater has a single tone beep after transmission. Assuming your using NCGUG Vaca 625. I was thinking about asking for permission to check out the coverage on that one.

etofsrud

I have a friend ive known for 40+ years "N6OIM Eric in Sacramento County", you may have talked to him recently.
Over here im associated with "KD7FPK Dave Gardnerville,NV" and "KF7MYT Kevin Virginia City,NV"
They have been pushing me hard to get my Lic.

Im working on getting my Tech Lic and have passed the Online Test 3 times in a row and allready have a large assortment of radio gear (Toys) for UHF and VHF " that are Field Programable" and Multiple receivers.

If the peer pressure's not already bad enough, I'd like to wish Bill all the best of luck with that Tech license exam!! It's really not that bad. Just go for it. You'll pass with flying colors!!!

Best, Eric N6OIM

KD6HRI

Good luck Bill! I dont think you will have a problem getting your ticket. I can hit the Reno 2m (Mt.Rose) machine with little problem and would be a pleasure to talk once your licensed. Please let us know how things go.....

73's

Steve KD6HRI

leitung

Premium Subscriber
Just want to let you guys know I enjoy listening in on you. Would love a PM with your new repeater info :)

Justin

Been doing the same, I have the repeater now in my radio, damm good one to way better then the SHARP one, even though that one gets some great coverage too. I wont give out the specs for it, it's an open system and it's listed in myGMRS. However, you need to contact the owner for the codes and written agreement. If you get it and need any help testing it PM me and let me know, i will be glad to help.
I use the repeater in the down times, if the sac mav guys come on, i usually switch to SHARP to allow them to conduct their operations.

I am WQGJ571 if you hear me on there, I usually am monitoring so feel free to give me a shout,

leitung

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to the sac mav guys for the help earlier today. The ghetto bird was annoying the hell out of me and my co workers, as it was flying right over us but we couldn't figure out what was going on. I usually listen on that repeater but I avoid talking on it to keep it open.

I get an itchy trigger finger, Especially when something cool is going on near me or my work sites and I hear you guys talking about it. :)

KA6PDY

Premium Subscriber
We are still out there

We're still out there talking. Since we are all "volunteers" personal schedules and all get in the way.

Does anyone on here have the capability of programing Motorola RADIUS Mobile M300's? We are having trouble getting them programed and also Motorola P200 HT's.

We also have a Yahoo Group page set up for you if you would like more info or ask questions or just simply follow along. SacMav : SacMav Rapid Media It's brand new so get in on the ground floor!

I talked to the repeater owner and he told me the tone you hear on the repeater shouldn't be there. It's do to problem with the controller and when he gets a chance to go up to Vaca it should disappear. Don't know when that will happen though.

Also if you hear some quick tones once in awhile with some traffic on it that's from some "unauthorized users" He said he's had a hard time tracking them down since they don't talk that much or give out details.

Anyway just giving you some updates!

73's Paul,KA6PDY,WQLE614

leitung

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I was wondering what those random tones are the come up now and then. I accually like the tone after transmission, let me feel confident that I hit the repeater.
I also want the know what the long static is followed by the repeater tone, everytime I hear it, I think my radio is acting up, then I hear the tone from the repeater.

Also what output tone are you using? I tried the one Greg sent me but its not correct, so programmed csq into the radio and now I pickup to much interference.

I'll be on here shortly to listen in, good stuff..

KD6HRI

Yep, the repeater is on Mt.Vaca near Highway 80 and 12. It has great range but I never thought someone would hear it East of Lake Tahoe. That is amazing for a GMRS repeater not being linked or anything. It is heard in the Bay Area as far South as San Jose. It doesn't do go on the East Bay side due to the East Bay Hills are blocking the signal. It does good in the I-680 corridor and of coarse the Sacramento Valley from about Modesto to Marysville and the Foothills. We have some other GMRS repeaters that we use for different area's. We're mainly on this one though.

I'm one of the Mobiles and Controllers WQLE614 and I've been a HAM for 10+ years KA6PDY aka Mobile11. I'm glad you guys like what you hear. We aren't "Wanna Be's" running around playing "cops and robbers" it might sound that way but we talk the lingo so it is easier to understand sometimes. I'm originally from San Francisco and San Mateo County and used to Dispatch Mobile Life Support and Mercy Life Care in San Mateo County before Baystar or AMR.I'm still learning the codes here. I so wanna go back to saying 11-80 or 519 for a auto accident or when there is a chase I wanna hear 'Go to The Green"...LOL

So, any input you guys could make is helping us on the air! Thanks 73's and Happy Monitoring!

I'm starting to listen,but alot of the exciting stuff happens after I go to bed. I will have to do some late night listening on the weekends! Great pics of the shack and I do notice some Coast Guard stuff.....did you serve? I was in the Coast Guard Reserve for 9 years and was stationed @ Rio Vista as a small boat crew engineer. Anyway keep up the good work and I'll be listening! 73's

gvranchosbill

This is my list of Distant GMRS Repeaters ive heard here in Douglas County,Nevada
Yours is the only one that has been Identified. (462.6250 mhz/186.2 ctcss).

They are:
462.5750 mhz/100.0 ctcss
462.5750 mhz/173.8 ctcss

462.6250 mhz/088.5 ctcss
462.6250 mhz/114.8 ctcss
462.6250 mhz/123.0 ctcss (Identified/NV)-(Off Air 2007)
462.6250 mhz/167.9 ctcss
462.6250 mhz/186.2 ctcss (Identified/Mt Vaca,CA)
462.6250 mhz/250.4 ctcss
462.6250 mhz/051 dcs

462.7250 mhz/203.5 ctcss (Identified/Autovon-AT&T Site/Topaz Lk,NV)-(Off Air 2011)

Are any of these Freqs/Tones yours?

Last edited:

KA6PDY

Premium Subscriber
Auxiliary

No, Not Active or Reserve Coast Guard but Auxiliary. When I lived in the Bay Area - San Francisco I was very active as a Land Mobile Unit my Call is/was Oyster Point Mobile 11 and Fixed Land Facility - San Francisco Radio 1 (That's where the Mobile 11 comes from). Anyway I was Liaison on SAR cases with Fire and PD. Always looking for Windsurfers in trouble and Vessels in Distress and the rare Aircraft in the water (happened 2wice South of Half Moon Bay) Had fun talking to Sector San Fran and Sta Golden Gate on cases. I loved talking to the Helo's and the on occasion the C-130's and CHP. It was a blast at times and boring too. I'm still in the AUX but since I'm in SAC it's quiet here. Thinking of joining up with the Flotilla out of AIRSTASAC since I'm down the street from them and can Hear/Feel the C-130's warming up before a mission or just in the middle of the night when they are working on the engines. I've been a member since 1994

Anyway I collect Coast Guard Helo and Aircraft stuff. I have the MH60J,MH65C,MH68(retired),and the Prototype HH-139(not made) and the C-130's

There is a Auxiliary repeater on Mt.Diablo used for some cases. They have a Net every Monday at 8pm on 150.700 mhz. It can also retransmit Marine channels 9,16,21A,22A,23A,83A when needed.

KA6PDY

Premium Subscriber
Tones

The only tone we use on Mt.Vaca is 88.5. There is no Output Tone just Input. Not sure how you hear 186.2? It's strange. There are other repeaters around here.

KA6PDY

Premium Subscriber
Storm Chasers

There is a pretty big event coming up. On Feb 25th at the IMAX Theater on K street in Sacramento Sean Casey from Discovery Channel's Storm Chasers is gonna be in town. He will be there with the TIV _ Tornado Intercept Vehicle all day from 10AM-6PM. If you haven't seen the show there are 3 teams of chasers following Tornado's and trying to get data from them. Sean and his crew were chasing and he was filming in 3D Tornado's for the movie Tornado Alley.

The TIV is a Huge vehicle made out of bullet proof metal and glass. It has a large rotating dome on the top so Sean could film.

They use radio's to communicate. One of the vehicles uses a Yaesu radio. Can't tell what one though I've only seen the mike

You can go to NorCalSkywarn's Facebook Fan page at https://www.facebook.com/NorCalSkywarnNWS for more info. Just go to the EVENTS section.

We'll be there since we are all Skywarn Spotters and belong to NorCalSkywarn.

Status
Not open for further replies.