News Story: Broward County Emergency Dispatch Issues Not Fixed After Three Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
MSD Commission Wants to Know: Why Isn’t Dispatch System Fixed Yet? – NBC 6 South Florida (nbcmiami.com)
Sept. 29, 2021

Three years later, and there are still emergency dispatch issues in Broward County.

That topic dominated discussion Tuesday at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission meeting in Sunrise. The police response to the mass shooting was slower than it should have been, and the Commission told Broward County Administrator Bertha Henry there were several factors at play, and one of them has not been fixed.

“Communications was one of those failures and you own that, you all own that, so if I had a question, it would be how many more people have to die before you and the other adults get in a room and fix this?” said Commission member Rick Swearingen to Henry as she testified.

Link above for complete story.

Gmork

" As Henry explained, the cities of Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, and Plantation are on a separate 911 dispatch system."

Close but incorrect.

This past Sunday, Coconut Creek Fire-Rescue started it's first day as it's open independent agency as it separated from it's 20 year contract with Margate. Coconut Creek did enter a contract last year with Coral Springs to provide dispatching for police & fire. The switch over is not set to take place till next year.

N4KVE

This was the last piece of the puzzle. The 16th tower to allow communications all over the county. People complain the radio system has dead spots, but yet they don’t want the tower built in their neighborhood. This has been going on for years, & it looks like it’s finally going to be done.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
People complain the radio system has dead spots, but yet they don’t want the tower built in their neighborhood. This has been going on for years, & it looks like it’s finally going to be done.

:ROFLMAO: Bunch of old farts! If their cellphones didn't work, they'd let them build a tower on their front porch! :rolleyes:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This was the last piece of the puzzle. The 16th tower to allow communications all over the county. People complain the radio system has dead spots, but yet they don’t want the tower built in their neighborhood. This has been going on for years, & it looks like it’s finally going to be done.
I wonder why they didn't use the water tank.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Who owns it? They may not want extra cables or antenna on it. Might already have antenna on it, someone doesnt want possible interference. That or they just wanted money, and no one wanted to pay them.
Lol, I'm used to the county owning its sewer and water infrastructure - never thought it might be a private water company. If the tank was county owned, they probably have a clause where they can preempt its use if deemed necessary. I suppose there is a good reason, but using water tanks as a tower structure is common around here.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I wonder why they didn't use the water tank.
My understanding is that the tank is owned by the City of Hollywood, and the county wants their equipment to be installed on a structure that they own themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.